Ten

I'm in a human hospital, seeing as we didn't have every machine we needed at the Pack house. I groan as I wake up, the window showing me that it was late afternoon. Asher snores softly against the bed, holding onto one of my hands. I rip my hand away from him, turning on my side and seeing a human nurse and doctor in my room.

They stare at me in fear, frozen. I give them a pitiful smile. "Hey, doc. What's going on with me?" My voice was hoarse, hurting my throat as I talked.

"Well, uh, Ms. Ranger, your organs seem to be failing and nothing we're using has started working yet." The doctor steps forward, hiding his fear. I nod, sighing.

"It's because of my mark. Stupid of me. I should have died all those years ago. You know, I protected not only my family and Pack from a whole bunch vampires then but also this whole town. They tried to kill me, but before I could die I asked my... soulmate to mark me. He used to be human." I sigh, looking over at Asher.

"What do you mean he used to be human?" The doctor asks, fascinated.

"Oh, um, nothing. You wouldn't understand." I deflect, sitting up slowly. Accidentally nudging Asher's head, he jolts awake. As his eyes focus on me, he quickly hugs me.

"Asher! If you don't let go of me this instant, I'll castrate you!" I growl, he leaps away.

"Jay, I said I was sorry. I didn't mean it!" He says, looking like a hurt puppy. I falter, gazing at him softly.

"Ash, you said you wish you didn't mark me. And I guess you're right, I should have died all those years ago." I sniffle, looking down at my pale and weak body.

"It's my birthday in a couple of days, and here I am, stuck in a hospital because I said we should wait to fully mate. I'm only fifteen, Ash. You can't honestly expect me to just... what if I get pregnant? We have too many people wanting to kill us, I have humans thinking I'll murder them, and Max is still on the run! If I get pregnant, my life will be in even more danger and and-" I cough, spitting up some blood.

"Shh, love. I'm here." He sits down beside me, pulling me close. "I know what I said was a mistake, marking you was never a mistake and I will always love you and want you alive. I just meant that I didn't like how much pain you were in. Please rest, Jay. I've never seen you so sick." He whispers tears welling in his eyes.

"We have. Three years, we had to take care of her because you took most of her energy every time you did that stupid mindlink trick." Luca growls, stepping forward. I didn't even know they were there, a testament to how oblivious I am now.

Ash flinches, turning to me in worry. "Why didn't you tell me?" He whispers, shock lining his face.

"I didn't want to worry you." I mumble, looking down at my lap. His warm hands cradle my face, leaning his forehead against mine.

"It's my job, Jaiyana Ranger. I will always love, care, and worry for you." Ash smiles sadly, pressing a kiss against my forehead and retreating.

"How bad is her condition, sir?" Asher asks, they exchange worried looks.

"Well, it's quite... different for us to understand because every time her lungs collapse, or her kidneys fail or anything of that sort, something within her repairs it quickly but over the past few hours it's become farther and farther apart. What used to take maybe five seconds to repair itself, it now takes almost a minute or two." The doctor responds, a couple of my Pack doctors rush in.

"Understood, sir. Alpha. Luna." They bow their heads, turning back to the doctor and nurse.

"We would like your help with tending to our Luna. We have the werewolf expertise, and you have the resources." My head Pack doctor offers, holding his hand out for the human doctor to shake his hand. Slowly, he takes his hand and nods.

"Let's get to work." The human doctor agrees, his fear seeming to dissolve. They turn to me, ready to tackle my problems together.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N

Hey everyone! Long time since I've posted, and I am truly sorry for that. I hope yall have a good spring break!

~Adelaide