10-Childhood Mansion

A/N: ITS CHAPTER TEN!!!

DYLAN

Today is the day. Soda will hopefully dump Sandy after we tell him.

"Hey, Soda!" I heard Darry yell from the kitchen. "Can I talk to you?" Soda came out from his bedroom where he and Sandy were talking about random things.

I was sitting in the backyard looking at the stars. I take great comfort in looking at the sky. To think that every single one of those stars has its own story to tell. God that sounds so cliché. Sunsets are cool but Dal and I take great comfort in the darkness.

I heard slight shouting then the front door slam the screen door following a few seconds later. I got up from the cool grass and walked to the front of the house. I saw Soda hyperventilating and running his hands through his messed-up greasy hair and he was pacing.

"Soda?" He jumped at the sound of my voice.

"Yeah I get it Sandy cheated but I still love her!" He shouted at me.

"I wasn't going to tell you that. I was wondering if you wanted to walk with me somewhere secret." I walk towards him more.

"I'm not gonna go drink or smoke and all that junk Dylan!"

I took another step so we were inches apart. "Liam would actually kill me if I did that, his doctor side would take over. I just wanna show you something." I offered my hand out to him. He took it hesitantly.

———

I walked with him talking about random things, all topics that avoid anything to do with Sandy.

"Did you hear there is a drag race at the end of the month?! I heard my Math teacher wanted to go see it!"

"Your Math teacher is like twenty, it makes sense." Soda flatly said. It hurts to know how upset Soda is. His personality and mood is contagious. When he's happy and smiling everyone is and vise versa.

"Wanna go with me, Sodapop Curtis?" I poked him with a cheesy grin on my face.

He tried to resist laughing with no success. "Yes, I will go with you, Dylan Bennet." He chuckled. We were still holding hands so I pulled him along.

"Hey, we are almost there!"

"Wait is this what I think it is?!" Soda's eyes lit up.

"Yeah, it is! It's our childhood mansion!"

"It's a two-story tree house!" Soda laughed.

"Not anymore." I grabbed his hand again and yanked him to the ladder.

We built this the first year we became friends. We stopped coming here as often when we got into high school and when Soda dropped out.

———

The tree house has a wooden ladder which we climbed.

It is up really high at the top of a tree in the forest on the outskirts of Tulsa.

On the first floor, we have another ladder leading upstairs. A window on each wall, a whole bunch of pillows and books.

On the second floor, we have to climb that other ladder to get to. This floor was our 'work shop'. We have a wooden countertop around three walls. The other wall has all our parts, piece and tools on different shelves. We have shelves going around the whole room filled with things we have made.

"I can't believe this is still here." Soda walked around in awe.

"Yeah, I came here often and kinda kept it together. That's, not a surprise though. I created a star gazing section. We have a library, workshop, and star gazing. Come on!" I led him to a ladder I installed lately so we have to go up to our flat roof. Once up there he saw the blankets and pillows lying out, my cassette player playing some beach boy tape.

"Whoa! This is the perfect view, Dee!" Soda hugged me tight.

"I'm glad you like it!"

———

For the rest of the night, Soda forgot about everything. He and I just talked and watched the stars. We both even eventually fell asleep on the roof of our 'mansion'.

"Thanks for tonight Dee."

"Yawn, no problem Soda."

———

A Few Weeks Later

It's been over a month since I got jumped. I have scars and all but I'm mostly healed. It's the end of April and school gets out at the beginning of June.

Liam has been trying to hang out with me more. It started a few weeks ago.

———

I was walking home from working at the DX when Liam came up and asked me if I'd like to go and get supper with him.
We sat down and ordered our food.

"Ok I know this is awkward but I need to clear things up. I've been busy with school and Mom and Dad that I haven't really been the best brother."

"Yep." I agreed.

"You are not supposed to agree with me." He jokingly complained. "I thought you were taking care of yourself while I did the same to Gabe, so I didn't need to focus on you much. I'm sorry Dylan."

"It's cool man. We are on good terms."

The rest of dinner went by fast and fun.

Life was now smooth and perfect, for now at least.

———

A Few Weeks Later

I woke up to Micky Mouse. I heard that iconic laugh. Terrifying to be honest.

"Two Bit turn down the darn TV!" I murmured and buried my head into the crook of the couch with thin pillows on top of my ears.

"THE BEAST HAS AWAKENED!" Two dramatically shouted.

"Ugh leave me alone." I groaned as I pushed myself off the couch. I looked around and only saw Keith. "Let the gang know I went home to get changed and I'm out doin' stuff. Just tell em' not to worry about me. You dig man?" I looked towards Two again.

"Alright, Brooklyn!"

"Huh?" I turned back around from opening the door.

"Your voice. You sound like you eat sleep and breath NYC like Dallas!"

"It is my morning voice, Keith. Brooklyn hmm." I walked out the door. I didn't hate the name. It just caught me so off guard that I pondered on that topic as I walked across the street to my house. I kinda like the name, Brooklyn. The thing is that the nickname is really genius especially coming from Keith himself.