02-Busy Night

DYLAN

I awoke to a large crash.

"Ugh!" I pulled my covers off my freezing body and shuffled out into the dark hallway. I checked Liam's room to see if Gabe was in there because he was not in his bed when I woke up. Liam was still asleep, alone. His room is directly across the hall from ours.

Gabe and my room have light grey walls, music posters plastered here and there, a bed, desk, and a dresser. It is also pretty messy! Gabe and I shared this room so it has colorful blankets, a lot of toys everywhere, and cartoons and graphic novels scattered on his superhero rug located near his bed, the bottom bunk. We have a bunk bed. I sleep on the top but Gabe gets scared at night so I usually end up sleeping below with him.

Liam on the other hand is like Darry, he is close to the same age, stern, and serious. His room has a small bed, desk, a dresser, grey walls, books neatly on his desk, AND a clean room. Nothing on the walls for some reason. I like Gabe and I's room because we have a window on the left wall and a large one on my back wall.

I walked downstairs and saw Gabe rummaging through drawers and cabinets.

"Gabriel, what are you doing? It's four in the morning." I rubbed my tired eyes then put a hand to my head feeling dizzy. I don't want to talk about it though. I pushed the feeling away.

The small kitchen we have has a wrap-around counter on three walls and a small island where we all eat at. We have basic necessities scattered around the white-walled kitchen. We have wood floors everywhere in the house so we can hear every squeak at night.

"I couldn't sleep and was thinking about what my friends wanted to do with me tomorrow, and I needed to find supplies!" He remarked and made it sound like it was so obvious and I should have known.

"Gabe," he looked up, "back to bed."

"But I need supplies!" He wined.

"I'll help in the morning." I trudged behind him as he stumbled up the stairs and into our room.

Gabe laid down next to me on the bed. It would be nice to have my own room but Gabe is a sweetheart and is very funny at times so if I shared a room with anyone I'm glad it is with him.

"Dill?" He murmured.

"Hmm?" I responded.

"It's dark."

"That's because its night time."

"Can I turn on my night light it's scary?"

"Uhh sure?" He got out of bed and walked over to the outlet across the room.

Click

The dino night light shined bright through the ominous room.

"Ok, I'm happy." He mumbled.

"Go to bed!" I groaned. He jumped up onto the bed and giggled.

"Gabe, get to bed I'm tired!"

"Ugh fine." He hopped into his spot and cuddled into me. He eventually fell asleep. Right, when I closed my eyes he bolted awake.

"What now?" I was getting irritated.

"I had a dream, a bad one." His shaking voice caught me off guard.

"Hey, hey buddy, it's ok calm down." I cooed to him while rubbing his back to calm him down. I lightly pulled him back into a laying position. He faced the wall and I draped my hand over him and squeezed him comfortably. He eventually fell asleep, again. Thank goodness. My eyes were fluttering close when Gabe dragged me out of bed.