49 ❀ I am fluent in the language of silence

Start from the beginning

Y/n cleaned it before he came a few weeks ago, but she felt no need since she didn't have much company, Claudia and Dalia never minded, and Viv only commented about it sometimes but cleaned it once it got to an extent.

"I wasn't expecting you. I would've cleaned up a little if you gave me a heads up." Catherine frowned at the man, knowing she also commented on the lack of cleanliness.

Finn explained to Y/n that he had a long conversation with his mother, and she won't be contacting Y/n about Abigail. Y/n was suspicious of this.

"When I wanted my mother to know. I wanted to be the one to tell her."

"Gee, that makes me feel better." Y/n pursed her lips, bending down to grab something from her purse that sat on the floor. "I guess what? You're here, We can do what I was planning on." Finn furrowed his brows. "We should tell Abigail the truth."

Catherine peeked into the dining room to see Y/n plop down a children's book. "What better way to tell Abigail you're here father than to speak her language?" She proudly stepped away to let Finn look at the book she provided.

My daddy turned into a ladybug. Finn shivered a the thought.

Finn turned to Y/n, who was smug. "You're going to read it to her." Uh...

"No, thanks," Finn replied, turning around to enter Abigail's room. "Wha— why not?" Y/n scrambled to pick up the book before running closely behind him. "It'll be a great bonding experience!" She raised it in the air in protest.

Catherine smiled contently as she watched them escape her view. She'll leave them alone. Turning away, Catherine collected her things and hoped for the best. Y/n was not only a better mother than her, but she was also a better daughter.

Her phone buzzed, seeing an unknown caller ID. Catherine answered it without thinking. "Hello?" She greeted the person on the other line and locked the door behind her. "Catherine." She froze as soon as she heard the voice.

"It's your momma. I'm—" Coughing erupted, "I'm dying. Please return to America, dear; I want to see you before I'm gone." Catherine gripped her phone tightly.

"How did you find my number? How did you find me?" Catherine went to most extraordinary lengths to escape her mother— her life in America. She changed her last name and hoped for the best. And it has been working for decades. So... why now?

Her mother began to cough again. "I've been searching for you since you fled the country at 15." Catherine entered her car, turning on the engine. "I only have a year left. Please see me before I pass on. That's all I want."

Catherine scoffed on the phone. "You remember what you did to me. You made your bed. So, enjoy your nap." The thought of never seeing her mother again also hurt her. But she never honestly had a mother, only the image of one.

"Good, bye mother. I hope you'll endure at least a fragment of what you put me through in your next life." She hung up the phone before fixing her hair— using the mirror above her to check her appearance.

This only meant she had to get a new number. There's no way she knows she's in Canada.

Abigail jumped up from her place on the bed, greeting Finn happily. "Hey, shortcake—" Y/n pushed him out of the way, taking a seat in front of Abigail so that even when her daughter was standing up, they were roughly the same height.

"Get—" Y/n pulled him down hard. "Down." Finn rolled his eyes before sitting beside Y/n, their knees touching as they waited for Abigail to sit on her short bed. "Finn wanted to read you a book! It's called 'My daddy turned into a Ladybug.'