Why does my heart bleed when my mind screams

Castien 

Watching Princess Rhea scream in pain as the guards of Queen Nicasia attack had sent white searing rage through every single artery in my body, knowing that the reason this was happening because of how I had offended the undersea. 

I had drawn my sword at the same time that I heard the sickening crack of Rhea's ribs. 

Even if she screamed in pain, her eyes showed she was willing to put up a fight against them. 

But there was no way she'd win without killing herself in the process. 

I stood in the raggwort's saddle and launched myself towards the crustacean creature, managing to slash his arm as he howled in pain, dropping Rhea in the process as she began to fall. 

My knees impacted on the ground but I couldn't feel the pain as Rhea fell into unconsciousness, her body shutting down to protect her from the pain. 

The guards chuckle as they peer down at us, almost eleven feet tall and I snarl as my arms wrap around the princess. 

"Stay with me, sweetheart" I whisper quietly and my hand tightens on my sword once again. 

"You tell your queen that the princess will not be going to see her right now. And that this will be dealt by the King and Queen of Elfhame," I spat and they chuckled. 

"Then you tell the king and queen that this will mean war," the crustacean sneers and my eyes narrow. 

"I'll make sure to send the message along." 

They disappear into the water without a ripple and my heart seizes in my chest at the peppering bruises on Rhea's neck developing. 

"Stay with me," I demand as I mount the raggwort steed and we gallop towards the palace. 

It's been chucking down rain, and Rhea is shivering in my arms as I carry her into the palace, and I scream for help. 

Queen Jude and King Cardan along with their advisors dash towards us, and Queen Jude starts sprinting when she realizes it's Rhea. 

She takes Rhea's head in her hands, and tears form in her eyes. "What the hell happened?" she yells as I practically run up the stairs and I explain, watching her face turn into pure rage as King Cardan's morphs into terror. 

By the time we've arrived at Rhea's rooms, her circle of archers and a physician is waiting. 

"Rhea!" Naercé exclaims, and when she feels the clothes she shivers as I place her on the bed.

 "She's freezing wet! Bay, help me." 

Bay and Naercé make quick work of her clothes and I look away as Queen Jude covers her mouth with a sob when she sees the heavy bruises from her cracked ribs.

 "You said they were Nicasia's personal henchmen?" she demands and I nod. 

"We were simply riding back when they just... attacked. Rh- Rhea was thrown. The back of her head took the brunt of the fall." 

The physician flinches and nods. "Thank you, Prince Castien." 

Queen Jude envelopes me in a hug as she begins to cry. "Without you, she might be dead or in the undersea." 

To that, she shivers, and I realize that relations with Queen Nicasia have never truly been diplomatic. 

And I doubt they ever will again. 

 "Her ribs are badly cracked, and it looks like she might have a concussion. She passed out, which means I cannot tell when she will wake up. Her windpipe took damage, not extensive, but damaged nonetheless from the... claws... And her jaw is broken."