Alone in the dark

"Daddy, we've brushed our teeth," Haley announced running out of the bathroom with her sister. Sally grinned and showed her clean teeth to her dad proudly.

"Aren't you girls the best!" Eric ruffled through their hair. "Ready to sleep?"

"We're sleeping with Grandma and grandpa, right?" Haley asked.

"Yeah."

"Yay! Grandma said she'll tell us a lot of stories," Haley said excitedly.

"Have fun. Be good girls to grandma and grandpa, okay? Do not trouble them."

"We won't, daddy."

"Family hug?" Eric asked, spreading out his arms.

They both immediately ran into his arms.  Their tiny hands wrapped around his neck. But suddenly Haley pulled back. She turned to Leah on the bed and extended her hand to her, surprising Eric.

By the looks of it, Leah seemed surprised as well. It took her a minute to stand up and was still unsure when she stepped closer to them.

Sally turned towards her and looked at her. Leah seemed to wait to see if Sally too wanted her to join in and when Sally smiled gently, Leah took that for a yes and came in closer for the hug.

Then her eyes laid on Eric's. He slowly put out his hand for her, not sure how she'd react. But she gently took his and Haley's hand, each in one, closing whatever gap was left between Eric and Haley. She leaned in, wrapping one arm over Haley.

"Family hug!" Sally said excitedly and Eric tightened his grip on Sally and on impulse Eric's other hand went over Leah's. He felt her stiffen for a second before relaxing slowly. Once she was relaxed, her hand landed on his back very gently.

All four of them stood hugging, taking in the warmth of the family. Sally was the first to pull back after a few minutes and the rest of them slowly let go.

The girls then kissed Eric and Leah good night and left to sleep with their grandparents.

******

Leah and Eric stood in silence, not knowing what to say. A lot of things clouded Leah's head.

The kids had included her in their family hug.

They had kissed her good night for the first time. It was always she who kissed them good night.

Eric had almost hugged her.

And now they were alone together. Again.

Leah lied down on her side of the bed and pulled up the sheets. She could still feel the ghost of his palm on her back. It had felt strong and warm on her skin and the reminder of it sent chills all over her. It was the first time he'd touched her.

Leah's head was messed up as it is. The whole day she'd spent catching herself staring at Eric for longer than necessary. She had even swooned a time or two when seeing him with the kids. And now this happened and she couldn't put her emotions in one place.

"Today was really good," Eric said, lying down beside her.

Leah nodded, smiling.

Eric seemed like he was waiting for Leah to add more but she couldn't. There was chaos in her head and she was in no mood for a chit-chat.

"Good night, Leah," he said after a few minutes.

She faced him and their eyes caught. She felt like she was going into a trance and had to shake herself out of it.

"Good night, Eric." As much as she wanted to keep staring for longer and memorize his features, she turned away. She didn't want to look like a creep. Also, she was treading along dangerous lines. One step on the other side and she might drown.