First family trip

And then everything changed from the next day.

Leah no longer avoided him. She smiled when they came face to face. They spoke a lot about the kids and their practices. Leah came up with a lot of suggestions for extra curricular activities but only did the ones Eric was comfortable with.

She made sure to not do anything without his approval. She seemed to be cautious with the kids, Eric noticed. She was new to this and didn't want to overdo anything and cause them any problems. And Eric appreciated it.

She cared deeply for the girls and that's all he'd ever wanted.

Oh, and there was food for all four of them now.

*****

Almost two months after their wedding, they had a long weekend which they decided to spend at Leah's parents'. Leah's mom had been calling them over almost every weekend and they decided to utilise the long weekend.

They took a train from Chennai to Madurai where Leah's parents' house was. It was their first trip as a family.

Leah was excited to take the girls to the place where she grew up. She had always wanted to show her kids where she grew up. All her stuff, her toys, her whole childhood. She wanted to share it all with her kids and now she has two!

In the few weeks she spent with them, Leah fell deeply in love with Haley and Sally. She didn't this kind of love existed. She didn't know someone could feel this much love for someone who wasn't related by blood. And this soon!

She spent every waking minute thinking about the girls. What she'd do for them and with them, planning out a dozen things. She wanted to buy so many things for them but she had to forcefully stop herself because she didn't want to spoil them. They needed to know the value of things and that only came from waiting for it. Leah was a strong believer of that.

On Thursday night, Leah packed sandwiches for dinner while Eric packed  their luggage and left for the station. Once in the train, the kids excitedly started playing amongst themselves. They peeked out of the windows and shrieked at the force of the wind. They sat on Eric and Leah's lap - Sally on Eric's and Haley on Leah's, and watched the dots of lights in wonder.

Leah wanted to freeze this minute and hold on to it for a lifetime.

In the morning, Leah's dad picked them up from the railway station and took them home.

"There's my sugar and honey!" Leah's mom shouted excitedly as they made their way into the house.

Haley and Sally felt too shy at the newness of the place and held on tightly to their father.

"Hi, mom. How are you?" Leah asked as she unloaded the luggage in a corner.

Eric and the girls sat down, the kids glued to him.

"I'm all good, dear. How are you?" Her mom asked and everyone nodded they were good

"This is my home," Leah told the kids and they looked around. "This is where I grew up." She almost said 'this is where mommy grew up' and had to bite her tongue to change the sentence.

Despite Leah's feelings, the kids hadn't gotten around to calling her mom yet.

"It's nice, Miss Leah," Haley said and Sally grinned as if seconding that.

"Thank you, peanut. Would you girls like a tour?"

They looked doubtful and looked at their father.

"Go on," he said and slowly they got up and followed Leah.

Leah showed the house around, her room and everything.

"You have a nice home," Sally remarked slowly.