Rather alone

"Did they turn me down again?" Leah asked, not surprised.

Her mom sounded sad as she sighed through the phone.

"We kinda knew this would happen," Leah said.

"But his parents liked you."

"And what can I do with that, ma?"

This has been her life for the past three years. She wanted this to stop; her mom to stop. She no longer wanted her mom to look for someone to marry her. But her mom wouldn't listen. 'A woman needs someone to care for her and protect her. A woman can't live alone all her life,' her mom always said.

Bullshit. Leah felt the irritation grip her hard. She can stay alone and take care of herself better than anybody else, thank you.

Don't get her wrong. She wasn't against marriage and she did want to get married. But not for the reasons her mom said. She wanted to marry for love. And as far as having someone take care of her went, she was capable enough to take care of her. So no thank you.

"Why can't you lose some weight, dear" her mother complained.

Not again! Leah gritted her teeth.

"Because I like being fat, ma!"

"Why are you being so stubborn?" Her mother yelled.

"Ma, stop it," Leah whisper-yelled. "Stop it all. I'd rather be stubborn than desperate. You promised this would be the last time you tried to set me up. It stops here. I'm done checking out profiles and I'm done being rejected by men who aren't even worth it. I don't want to get married. Please respect my feelings and stop here."

Her mother sniffled, clearing starting to cry.

Just then she heard a knock on her door and lifted her head to see a man standing by it.

"Gotta go, ma. I don't have time for this drama now. I'll talk later."

And she cut the call before her mom could argue.

"Hi. Sally's father?" She asked and he nodded. She gestured him to come sit in an empty chair across from her.

He looked grumpy or maybe mad for having to come here on a working day.

She hated this part of her job. Leah was a primary school teacher. She loved her job except when it came to complaining to her kids' parents.

"Sally is struggling."

She didn't mean to be this blunt but somehow it slipped and the father looked like he'd taken a hit.

"Sorry if that was rude. But I'm very concerned. She doesn't talk much and doesn't have any friends. She looks sad for the most part and even PT period doesn't seem to cheer her. Her academics are poor too, but that's not my biggest concern. Academics can improve any time, she's very young. I am someone who gives more importance to character and physical and mental health. And Sally seems to be struggling with regard to her mental health."

If his face wasn't tight already it was now.

"Haley seems better though. She responds to her teachers and mingles better with her classmates. Sally is comfortable only with Haley as far as I can see and I would like her to get along with others as well."

The father stayed silent.

"She looks sad, sir."

His face tightened and Leah felt bad.

"I'm sorry I have to ask this, but I gather you're a single father?"

She could see him grit his teeth. He nodded.

"If you don't mind, what happened?"

"Their mom is not in the picture anymore."

He sounded rough.

"I just wanted to know to understand the situation better. I know this is something so many people would have already said to you, but a daughter needs her mother, sir. And whatever is going on at home could be affecting her."

"So what do you suggest? I get them a new mother? Cause their own mother didn't want them. I know they need a mother, so what should I do?"

He snapped feverishly and Leah was taken by shock. She stared.

"Or better yet, you should be their mother. Since you care so much and all!"

******
Author's note: Thank you for choosing this story. Hope you like it! 🫰
Please vote and comment your thoughts if you like it ❤️

******