Chapter 12 - Sharing the News

Until the pair had arrived back in Monaco, Alicia and Max felt as though they were in their own little bubble, it feeling as though nothing would be able to get in the way of their happiness as they began to get used to life as a couple as well as adjusting even further to the idea of bringing a baby into the world. However, as she checked the time on her phone, Alicia currently took a shaky deep breath, knowing that both of their fathers were due to arrive at Max's apartment at any minute after they had been seemingly randomly invited over for drinks. 

"Do you think they'll know something's going on?" Alicia eventually spoke up nervously as she began to anxiously fiddle with their fingers. "Don't you think they would think it's a bit suspicious that we didn't even give them a reason why the four of us are getting together for drinks? Well, not including me, but you know what I mean." 

"Not at all. They both said it's a lovely idea and they won't think anything of it because our families always used to do this on a non race weekend when we were younger," replied Max reassuringly as he closed the distance between them, comfortingly resting his hands on the tops of Alicia's arms. "Of course it's going to come to them as a shock, but even if they don't at first, they will warm up to the idea of being grandfathers to our baby. They've joked our entire lives that we'd end up together, especially when they would watch you forcing us to play families with your dolls."

Despite Max trying to remain calm for Alicia, he was unable to prevent his body from jolting with panic as there was a knock at his door a short while later, the two of them smiling at each other comfortingly before their fathers entered.

"Where's the music? Where are the beers?" Alicia's father and three time F1 world champion, Marcus asked enthusiastically, before himself and Jos looked at each other in surprise at the lack of atmosphere. 

"Why are you looking at us like that?" Added Jos with confusion. "You almost look like how you did when you were kids and you were nervous to admit to us that you'd done something wrong."

Alicia and Max then glanced at each other as they nervously bit down on their bottom lips as if to ask each other who was going to speak first. 

"Well, we invited you both here because Al and I have some news. We invited you for drinks because we're hoping that once you find out, you'll want to celebrate even though we know it'll be a massive shock at first," began Max softly, before himself and Alicia lead their fathers into the living room, Max and Alicia sharing a sofa with their fathers sitting on the one opposite them. 

Since showing affection already felt so natural for them both, Max thought nothing of it as he reached over and took one of Alicia's hands in his own, this causing Jos and Marcus to smile broadly as they thought that they had now figured out the news. 

"So that's why we're here. You invited us to tell us you've finally gotten together!" Said Marcus chipperly as if a lightbulb had just switched on in his mind. "I don't know why you were looking so worried, we've always said you're going to get together."

"Yes we are together and the reason why it's taken us this long is because we were worried about what if would mean for our families friendship if something ever did go wrong between us," responded Max with worry. 

"It means so much to us that you seem to be happy for us to be together, but there's more," added Alicia hesitantly as her heart started to pound against her chest. "We didn't plan for this to happen. We understand how reckless and irresponsible we were, but what made us realise that we can't be apart for any longer was when we found out that I'm pregnant." 

The room was then plunged into an uncomfortable silence, everyone having been rendered speechless, Marcus and Jos glancing at each other with shock as their mouths hung slightly agape.

"How long have you known?" Asked Marcus sternly, the hardened expressions of their fathers causing Max and Alicia's hearts to sink, especially because they knew how much worse their answer would make them feel.

"Coming up to a couple of weeks," Alicia admitted shamefully as she lowered her head. "I found out before the race in Zandvoort and driving in that race is my biggest regret and it doesn't make what I did okay, but I did it because of how I had no idea how to tell you the news and whilst I was trying to work that out, I wanted to seem as if everything was normal."

"The most important thing is that both of them are fine and also, we've chosen to keep the baby," added Max comfortingly. "I know neither of you expected to be grandfathers anytime soon and that it will be hard for you to deal with because of how sudden and out of nowhere this news is for you, but we hope that you'll come to love our baby as much as we already do."

As the room fell silent once again, Max and Alicia completely understood why Jos and Marcus' faces remained exactly the same.

"Next I'd like to ask how committed are you to each other?" Jos asked with concern. "I know how long the feelings between you both have been building, but something like this normally happens years into a relationship when it's clear that the family will be stable and is less likely to be broken up, rather than at the very beginning when you're still trying to decide whether things will work out for the long term."

"I know we haven't even had that honeymoon phase where you're going on your first dates and can be carefree and just enjoy being together, but I love Alicia, I always have. Even before I knew it would be in a romantic way, I always knew I was going to protect and look after her and that especially applies now," replied Max assuredly. "I might sound naïve for saying, but I don't see anything breaking us apart and over time, we will prove that to you."

Alicia's heart melted at the sound of Max's words as small smiles spread across Jos and Marcus' lips.

"This news is a huge surprise, but it is amazing and even though it'll take us a while to fully get our heads around it, I'm sure the baby will bring our families even closer together," said Marcus warmly, Max and Alicia letting out enormous sighs of relief since that long awaited dreaded moment was finally over.