Chapter 6 - Belgium

A/N: Really sorry about how long it's been since I updated this book. I've only just realised it's been 3 months, but regular updates should now be able to continue.

Throughout their lives, Max and Alicia had always been inseparable, always spending time together in between race weekends either in person or at least virtually over text and video call if it wasn't possible face to face. However, during the time between their one night stand and their next race weekend in Belgium, they hadn't said a word to each other, but planning to act like nothing had happened in the paddock leading up to the race weekend, quickly realising that this would be so much easier said than done as soon as their eyes met.

As the pair approached each other, small smiles spread across their faces as they found their cheeks flushing scarlet, finding it impossible to meet each other's eyes as they nervously bit down on their bottom lips. The lust in their dilated pupils was completely obvious for all to see, this being the reason why Max finally felt like he had no choice but to pluck up the courage to make his way over to Alicia and talk things through with her before anyone in the enormous crowds around them were able to figure out what was going on between them.

"Al, could we talk?" He asked softly, feeling stupid as he spoke because before they had slept together, she was always the person who he felt the most comfortable around, the one person who he could be vulnerable with and fully open himself up to. "Could we go into my motorhome and sort things out? I can't stand things being like this between us for any longer." 

After Alicia had nodded, allowing Max to lead the way, the two of them reluctantly dragged their feet towards the Red Bull area of the paddock, wanting the walk to last as long as possible as they knew just how difficult this conversation was going to be. Once they were inside Max's motorhome and he had closed the door behind them both, they sat beside each other on his sofa as closely to their respective arms as they were able to as they awkwardly looked around the room, being unable to hear anything else apart from the faint ticking of the clock on the wall.

"I don't know why we're just sitting here in silence wasting our time," Max eventually spoke up with frustration as he slapped his arms agitatedly against his sides. "Let's face it, we both know that after what happened between we, we'll never be able able to go back to being like brother and sister, the way we used to be. I can never feel like that about you ever again because of the kind of thoughts I now have about you every single day." 

At the sound of those words, Alicia found her heart starting to race in the best possible way, feeling overjoyed that she wasn't the only one who had been continuously experiencing those same kinds of thoughts. However, her heart sank after a moment as she thought about how Max would surely only ever want there to be something causal between them. The McLaren driver had known him his entire life, had witnessed every relationship he had ever been in and witnessed how every single one of them had failed, making her heart break at the thought of how she knew she would never be able to get too attached, whilst also feeling like her feelings for him which had been bubbling up inside of her for years were constantly increasing out of her control.

"Max?" Alicia began hesitantly, the colour draining from her cheeks as she anxiously licked her lips. "I-I, the truth is, I haven't been able to get you out of my head. I've been thinking about you every single night. No one has ever been able to make me feel like you do, so would you be interested in things happening again between us, maybe even to make it a regular thing?" 

Alicia's heart skipped a beat as Max then got off the sofa, making his way in front of her and lowering his lips down onto hers as his tall, many frame loomed over her. At first, Alicia wasn't going to hesitate to connect their lips, smiling broadly as this showed Max's approval, but just as he had crashed her lips against his, she immediately pulled away, filling with dread as she came to a sudden realisation.

"I'm sorry, this is what I want too," she said apologetically, noticing the sorrow in Max's eyes as he sat down beside her, hesitantly resting a hand on her thigh, which she placed her own on top of. "I desperately wanted that to continue, but then I thought about our dads. They've known each other and have been best friends since they were in karts. If things ever went wrong between us or whenever this casual thing would end, their friendship could be ruined. There could be arguments and they could be forced to be on opposing sides. We may want each other, but just think about what this could do to our families." 

"I completely get what you're saying, but these are the families who used to joke we'd be married someday when we were younger. They've always said we'd end up together and whilst I'm not sitting here right now promising you anything serious, I think they would be overjoyed for us whilst it lasts," Max began with seriousness, Alicia's smile broadening at the sound of the passion in his voice, how much he clearly wanted this, her heart continuing to pound against her chest as he leant into her ear.

"You just say the word and all of those fantasies we've been having could become a reality," he muttered alluringly, causing a small whimper to leave her lips as he lightly sucked on her earlobe.