The Swing

-Cinderella-

There was an old swing on the far side of the Bellview estate that her father had installed when she was just a child. She had been on it only a handful of times since her father's death. The paint was washed away and the wood complained more than it used to, but the rope was still strong and it still carried her weight.

The shadow of Bellview loomed over her like a threat. She was only at Dr. Finn's house for three days before the Duke of Westire arrived and placed her father's original will in her hand. Everything had always been hers. There were no debts that needed to be paid off. Everything had been a lie.

She asked the Duke for a carriage to take her home and the moment she arrived at Bellview, everything felt different. The past week had left a scarring imprint on her mind. Charles had informed her that Lady Tremaine was in prison, but her essence still lingered in every corner. Every dust-free surface and perfectly pressed curtain represented her own shame.

She found that she could barely stand to be in the house any longer. She visited Joe in the hospital. He was recovering quickly and soon promised to return to his post. She visited the orphanage to distract her mind, but when she returned home, she returned to the old swing, and only there, was she brave enough to think. She swung back and forth between Bellview and nowhere.

On the fourth day of her ritual, a figure disrupted the scene. It was Charles, on a horse, coming up the drive headed away from her towards the doors of Bellview. Her swing stilled. 

Charles had visited her every day while she was recovering. The good Doctor had worked himself into a frenzy at the sight of the Prince, but Charles was the opposite. Composed, polished, and intense. It was the first time she had ever seen him and really saw the Prince.

He gave her apologies, assurances, and comforts, but Ella had nothing for him. She could find no promises within her. She had no comfort to give him. She could not even ease his mind and tell him that she was fine. She felt nothing. 

She asked for some time to return to herself and he had given it to her. Now it was Friday. She thought a week would make a difference. A week only made her realize how lost she was.  

She watched as he drew closer to Bellview. She wondered what he would do if she did not call out. She wondered how long he would wait before he gave up on her. She wondered how long she wanted him to wait. 

She finally ended her musings and called out to him. He looked over and she waved. His course was redirected towards her and her heart rate doubled.

He dismounted his horse and climbed a shirt fence, taking the most direct course toward her. Ella stood from the swing to greet him, her ankle only complaining slightly. She tucked her shaking hands together to hide them.

When she could make out his face, she saw that his eyes reflected her own thoughts, and she wanted to escape them. 

For a moment she relived their dance at the ball. She remembered the fire in his eyes when he thought of something clever to say and was patiently waiting to deliver a retort, and she smiled. 

"Are you well?" He asked, once he had approached an acceptable distance for polite conversation.

She smiled for him because that's what he wanted. She tried to shake out the last bit of fear-ridden adrenaline through a small twirl. 

"I am in perfect form. Completely whole" She had reiterated that statement so much the last week that she was almost starting to believe it.

"Cinderella." He enunciated each syllable and stretched out the word, Its meaning evolved with how he said it. He would not believe that she was fine.