Murderous Intent

-Cinderella-

Ella walked into the ball fashionably late. There had been no Fairy Godmother this time. The dress had arrived the day before from the Queen's seamstress. It was not the magic-infused intricacy she had worn so long ago, but there was a simple elegance that suited her much more brilliantly.

The dress had arrived with a set of matching slippers that had come with a note from Charles that promised a perfect fit and an unforgettable night. Her preparation for the ball was panicked. A carriage had arrived from the castle on time to take her to the ball, but she kept them waiting. Once she arrived at the castle, the ball was already in full swing.

Stepping out of the carriage into the castle was like stepping into another world. The stairs were lined with guards all standing frozen at attention. Footmen were standing at the front doors to open them for her. The floors were polished marble. The ceilings were vaulted and lit up with hanging stained glass chandeliers.

Ella had never felt smaller. Swallowed up in all the finery. She was a small insignificant spec in the most glorious place she had ever seen. She followed the faint humming sound of music. The closer she came, the louder the noises became. There were more footmen at the ballroom. They opened the door and the castle evolved from a priceless show of artistry into organized chaos.

There was a dancefloor on the bottom level. Couples swirled in intricate dance moves. There were two more floors that wrapped around the walls and offered an overlook to peer down at the dancing below. The top story held the orchestra who were playing in full triumph. Music reverberated around the room. The drums were loud and made her heart beat faster. There was a sort of rush on the dance floor spurred on by the music. There were cheers and laughter from the dance floor and everything was in ever-spiraling chaos.

She was out of her league. This was eight different kinds of new. She did not know where to look.

"Ellanore Treval." A voice called from behind her.

Ella turned with a prepared smile. She came face to face with a woman dripping with gold a jewels. Even her dress had gold flairs sewn into the bodice. She had ebony hair and pale skin. Just her countenance held command.

"It is you is it not?" The woman asked.

"You have found me," Ella said awkwardly. "I am afraid I do not know you."

The woman nodded. "I am Alihah Dargrin, daughter of the Conqueror, Princess of Masserin."

"Oh!" Ella started, she vaguely recognized the name. "It is an honor," Ella said, dropping into her most formal curtsey.

"You are the woman who saved my people." She said.

"I cannot take any credit. Those lives were saved thanks to dozens of brave men. I was just in the wrong place at the right time."

"You cannot exaggerate your part, but the people have spoken. They have told me how you saved them with your magic."

"No. The magic was not mine it was weilded by another."

"Regardless of your humility, I must show my appreciation."

Ella looked over her shoulder towards the center of the room where she imagined she would find Charles.

"You did not have to get me anything. I did nothing, truly."

"Please Lady Treval. It would please me to no end to give you a formal thank you on behalf of my people. They insist."

Ella wanted to find Charles first, but she could not find a way to say no. She nodded in agreement, "Very well. I am honored."

"Will you follow me?" The Princess asked.