Chapter 8: Arion Ashcroft

Lucy

Arion Ashcroft arrived at my father's house in a black Mercedes. He hadn't come alone, his posse consisted of three other people. His human uncle, Archer Ashcroft, a girl and a boy.

From the balcony, I really couldn't see their faces, but I didn't need to. I recognized to be Maria Abel and Peter Jacobi.

My father waited at the entrance of his bungalow and greeted them as they entered. Archer clasped his hand and patted his back. Arion and the boy did the same. The girl ignored him when he held out his hand, brushed past him and walked inside.

Maria Abel, I'm not going to like you very much.

"Ready?"

I looked at Laith, for once he didn't look pissed at me.

"You look happy."

"I'm not. I'm proud of you. I wish you could have trained for a little longer."

"Do you think I can help Sera?"

"I'd be surprised if you couldn't," He said with a warmth that made me tear up a bit. He held out his hand. "May I escort you?"

I smiled and looped my arm through his. I was dressed up today. My dress toed the line between classy and sexy, it was made of teal blue satin that hugged my figure well without looking desperate. My hair was open, rolling down my back, and adorned with a silver and pearl comb. The pearls were real, unlike the smile plastered on my face.

Remember Luce, you're a happy bride! Happy, happy, happy!

I didn't need to look pretty for this marriage to go ahead. Nobody could deny Kiernan or Gabriel.

But it wouldn't hurt to have Arion want me.

He escorted me down the stairs, as the space in front of us opened up into an opulent hall, plush with Persian carpets and leather couches. A maid was serving drinks. My father and Archer Ashcroft were talking to each other and just as I was about to go to him, I looked up.

Arion.

He was as handsome as his picture. Jewel green eyes, bronze hair, he looked like a prince from a fairytale. And he was looking at me.

I gave him a small smile.

He shuffled his feet and looked down at his shoes with a shy smile.

My heart lifted.

Peter slapped him on the back and congratulated him. Maria was staring at me like she was a food critic who smelled something bad. Her senses were sharper then, I thought. She moved near my would be fiancé in one possessive step. I didn't let it distract me from him.

Something about Arion just felt nice.

"Lucy!" My father said. I thanked Laith and walked towards him and Archer Ashcroft. Arion thanked the maid for his glass of champagne and I did the same, holding the flute delicately by the stem. The liquid sparkled in the gold lighting.

"Lucy, I'm Archer Ashcroft," Archer Ashcroft said. I registered the urge to say I know. Instead I shook his hand. "Hello, Mr. Ashcroft."

"Too formal, my daughter, call me Archer," He said. "You look absolutely beautiful, Arion must be feeling lucky. Aren't you, son?"

Twelve or twenty four, family will always find a way to embarass you.

"I think I'm the lucky one," I interrupted before Arion was forced to answer. His eyes met mine again.

"That's debatable," He said with a smile. "You are beautiful, Lucy." It was the first time I heard him speak. He had a slight American accent.

"Thank you."

"Why don't you two take a walk? Get to know each other a bit?" My father suggested.

There's not much you could get to know about a person in an hour but I nodded anyway.

Fuck, my cheeks hurt from all the smiling.

I led him upstairs to the balcony I'd been using to spy on him. Laith had told me not to do anything for the first month. No spying. Let them lower their guards. For now, I'm just a girl who is to marry into the Vagi.

"Did your parents force you into this?" Arion asked once we got out of earshot.

I was startled. "My mum is dead. My dad didn't force me, just told me it would be a good idea to marry. You?"

"I'm sorry about your mom," Arion said. His tone and manner had changed a bit. He didn't seem half as warm as he'd been downstairs. "This is my choice. Someone strongly suggested that I marry you."

"And you couldn't say no?"

His eyes snapped to mine. "Could you?"

"I didn't want to," I told him. "After what happened to my sister, my father was very scared. This would give him some peace of mind, knowing I was protected."

"Your father is paranoid."

"My sister has been comatose for two weeks. Nobody knows what's wrong with her."

"Fair enough."

We stood by the balcony. "You don't want to marry," I said.

"I think I'm too young to marry," He said. He was my age, so that makes two of us.

But I couldn't have him thinking twice about out marriage.

"Why don't we give it time?" I asked instead. "We can get engaged but we don't have to marry. Let's see what life looks like together before we take a call? Maybe we'll work well together."

He smirked. "Aren't you a romantic."

"I'm not. I'm just hopeful. Six months? We can decide what to do at the end of it, provided you give it a fair shot."

He nodded. "A six month trial period then. Our families will likely agree to that."

Yes, they would. And if I can complete my mission in six months, I wouldn't have to marry a stranger, no matter how handsome or polite. I didn't really know him and this meeting had taught me nothing except for the fact that he was closed off and cautious. He didn't seem dangerous, but then again, neither did Dad and Sera and God knows how many people have died at their hands.

"What's wrong with your friend?" I asked.

"Don't mind Peter. He doesn't take life seriously at all. He may pass some comments but he's harmless, I promise."

"I meant the redhead."

"That's Maria. She's not happy with this arrangement."

"An ex girlfriend? She seems to have a thing for you."

"No, I'm really not interested in her." He grimaced. His lips pursed together and his expression turned sour. He looked disgusted at the notion of it. "She might cause trouble but don't mind her. Again - harmless, despite what she believes."

"She is pretty," I noted.

"She is my cousin."

"Oh."

We stood in silence and looked out of the balcony.

Well, this was awkward.

He pointed at my champagne flute. "Are you going to finish that?"

I handed it to him. Seems like he needed it more than I did.

__

😂😂😂

Don't forget to vote and comment!

I want to introduce you to the second Male Lead soon. He's my favorite ;)