Chapter Seventeen

"We need to take action," Spade announces. He is standing at the high desk at the back of the room. The huge space has been reduced to silence, and everyone is listening to his speech.

"The Countless have ruled our lives for too long," he continues. "They have punished us, conceals us, and hurt us too many times. But they are growing weaker as we are building confidence. Now is our time to strike, and make sure they suffer from their wrongdoings."

Everyone in the room raises their hands to a sort of salute.

"We have a former Countless member here with us," Spade says. He nods to a woman in the corner of the room who automatically begins to make her way to the podium. Her dark black hair shines in the dim light of the room and her bright blue eyes penetrate the harsh mood in the space.

When she finally reaches the podium, Spade steps to the side so she can speak.

"Hello everyone," the woman begins.

"That's Malone," Maple whispers to me.

I nod. I wonder if Cronas is here.

"I agree with all of you," Malone continues. "What the Countless is doing is wrong. They are terrible, greedy people. And I have many reasons to hate them."

A few murmurs ripple through the crowd, then it regains its silence. I put my arm on Darky's shoulder, and she leans in to me.

"A long time ago, my daughter lived in the Float. She was an amazing student and a wonderful, beautiful girl. I loved her very much," Malone says. "But then the Countless took her away! They shipped her off to some other city that I didn't know about. All because of some Maze."

The whole crowd raising their hands in a rebellious fashion, and Malone bites her lip. I can almost see the beginning of a tear forming in her eye.

"Now I have a son, Cronas, who you all know," the woman continues. "But I've never been the same without my daughter."

Malone steps back and Spade takes her places at the podium.

He brushes is dark hair to the side, and is about to speak, when somebody in the room screams. Startled, I look around and see Darky collapsed on the floor, her eyes closed.

"Darky!" I shout. I crouch down next to her and shake her shoulder, but she doesn't open her eyes.

What happened? My mind races. Is she dead? Or is she just out?

Spade rushes over to us from the podium frantically. He crouched down next to me and stares at my friend.

"What happened?" He asks, looking to me.

I shake my head, dazed. Then I feel myself falling too, and I blink my eyes. My body hits the floor hard, and my eyes flicker closed.

All I hear is voices that sound far away.

Then everything goes black.