Chapter One

Okay maybe I was too vague. That all happened three years ago. That girl, Darky, she's my best friend now. And yes. We were punished. And no. We weren't exiled. Yet.

+ + + + +

"Come on, Timber, let's go!" Darky shouts in my face, though I'm already up. The bright sun flashes in my eyes, and I shield them, tempted to go back to sleep.

But, giggling, Darky pulls me up and out of my cottage, and flings me into the dusty clearing. I skitter on the slippery ground, then I regain my balance. I shake my head, attempting to get the lingering wooziness out.

I see Darky starting to make her way down the path, and I hurry to catch up with her. As I follow her to the Chancelloring Arena, I remember we have Results today.

The large arena is so beautiful with all the Corinthian columns and ornate designs that it almost seems peaceful. But I know what happens in there. This is where all the sharpenings and extra sharpenings happen. And I don't want to ever be in there when those are going on.

"Timber!! It's starting!!" Darky spits in my face as she darts past me. I race after her, but slow to a walk as we reach the front steps. The huge doors swing open and we smoothly walk inside, and, since Darky is two years younger than me, we join our separate throngs of age groups.

A few minutes after I am situated, the gong rings, and the Chancellor walks into the huge arena, his gloved hand in the air. His tall hat stands straight up, and he looks like an elf from the Roots. But the Roots were a long time ago.

"Wolves! Today we are joined to see who of you will depart this wonderful place of Wolf," he begins. "There have been many tests through the past years of your wolfhood, and now is the final test. Welcome to Results."

A rousing cheer erupts from the arena, but I stay silent. It's not that I'm worried about myself, it's Darky. Ever since she was sharpened along with me, she has been doing worse and worse on her tests.

The Chancellor and his assistants begin giving the results. One by one, childwolves are led to the stage and are given their results. Every once in a while, a child gets a minus, and the whole crowd cringes as they are led to the Back room.

Finally, it's my turn. Walking as slowly as possible, I creep up the stone steps to the podium. The Chancellor's assistant looks down at the piece of paper in his trembling hand, looking as though he is attempting to avoid my stare.

"Timber Eyes, Timber Eyes," he mumbles scanning the sheet quickly. This must be one of the less organized assistants, and just happens to be assigned to me. Great. Looking around, I notice that everyone in the crowd is staring at me, and my face reddens.

"Aha! Here you are," the bumbling assistant exclaims, sounding very relieved. "Plus."

I exhale in relief. I let them inject the pin into me to verify that I have been added, then I leave the stage. I flash Darky a grin as I walk past her, and as she smiles back.

After that, I tune out on the results until I hear Darky's name called. As my friend was up the stairs, I notice at once how small she is. Her little legs are short and strong, but her torso and arms are very skinny.

The assistant assigned to her does not seem as disorganized, but he seems to have a little trouble when he finds her name. He whispers something to the Chancellor, and I immediately know something is wrong. He wouldn't need to tell the Chancellor anything unless...

"Darky Moon," the Chancellor states her name. "After all of your tests, we have come to a final result." I see Darky inhale sharply just as I do the same. "You will not be receiving a symbol for your results, but you will be given a ceremony."

Oh no. A ceremony may sound good, but not when it is in the place of a symbol.

"Darky Moon. Girlwolf." As the Chancellor states the final facts, I can feel the tension rising in the arena. "Extra Sharpening."