Chapter Four

Darky has turned into her wolf. She stares at me with the same green eyes she has as a human, and her ropey black fur matches her hair.

"Darky, come on," I say, sighing. "I'm sorry."

It has been two hours since our fight, and the ceremony of Exile is starting very soon. I grab the fur on her back and start to pull her down the dusty road, but she is stubborn, and I finally give in.

I start to plod along the road by myself, hoping that Darky will follow me. Eventually, she sighs, and scurried to catch up with me.

"Look, I'm sorry," I say.

She grunts.

We walk in silence until we reach the dark building where the ceremonies of Exile are held. Similar to the Exiling Arena, it's cold gray walls feel like those of a jail cell, and I tuck my hands into my pocket protectively.

Soon, the little hallway opens up into a large courtroom, with stained glass windows filtering the dim light. There are superlative tapestries hanging on the blue walls, these portraying the kings from the Roots.

"Darky, you should change back now," I say, but by the time I turn around, she is already a girl again.

"I'm sorry too," she says.

I smile.

"Girls," the same short man from the Exiling Arena addresses us. "It is time for what you have been waiting for these past three days."

I nod, then glance at Darky again. She shrugs.

"As you know," the man continues. "The ceremony will be very quick and concise, lasting only a few mere minutes. At the end, you will be informed why you, Ms. Moon, are being exiled."

I gulp in a breath. So there is a reason, instead of just bad tests. So Darky did do something bad. Or maybe she is something bad.

Darky looks at me, her eyes wide. She must be thinking the same thing as me.

The short man walks towards us, holding a glass bowl filled with water. He dips his fingers in it, then holds them out to us. He gestures for us to bow our heads, and we do.

"Wolves of Wolf," he says in a superior tone. "You are now officially exiled from Wolf, and you have lost all status achieved during you wolfhood."

I bow, sighing deeply. I will miss the pleasant city of Wolf. The winding streets, the tall ornate buildings. But at least I am not leaving anyone behind. I will have my best friend, and that is all I need.

The robed man waves his hand in a motion to gather our attention. We both look up at him, and I swing my arm around Darky's neck, for comfort.

"Darky Moon," he says next, staring into my friend's eyes. "We have put it to many tests, and we, the Countless, have decided that you are special."

I suck in some air. Here it comes.

"You," he continues. "Are not from Wolf."