Chapter Three

That night I lay awake in my bed, staring up at the ceiling, my brain coursing the events of the day before. Tomorrow, I will go with Darky to the ceremony of Exile, then we will be put out into the outer forest.

I shudder.

"Timber?" Darky calls into the darkness. "Do you think we will die?"

I scoff. "Of course not. Don't think things like that."

The clock on the wall ticks, and for a second I feel as though it is ticking away at the time I have left in Wolf. I guess that is true.

"Goodnight, Darky," I whisper into the darkness.

"Goodnight."

+ + + + +

The next morning, there is a bright orange sunrise erupting from over the mountains in the distance. It sprays ribbons of color through the sky, lighting up the house.

Darky is still asleep, and I decided to leave her, as the ceremony of Exile is still in a few hours. Her pale face suddenly seems so fragile, and it seems cruel that she has to be treated this way.

Stepping outside, I run my finger through my stiff hair, pulling out all the tangles.

Suddenly, a finger tips my shoulder, and I whip around, only to see Darky smiling up at me.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" She asks, sitting down on the wooden bench.

I seat myself down next to her, and place my hand on her back.

"Darky," I say. "You know what's happening, right?"

She smiles at me. "I know what you're going to say, Timber," she starts. "You are going to say that I am taking this too easily, that I should be freaking out right now!" She stares at me incredulously.

Actually, she took the words right out of my mouth. But she would probably be mad if she knew that, so I decide to stay silent.

Darky sighs. "You know, Timber, sometimes you can be a little too much like a mother."

I flinch, though I suppose that is true. I'm trying to rule her life too much.

"Fine," I say, standing up. "But, you know, I didn't have to volunteer to come with you into the outer forest. I could have chosen to stay here in safety, but I chose to come with you, because you're my best friend. If I were you, I would respect that. But, of course, I'm not you."

By the look on her face, I can tell that that stung. But I walk away.