Chapter Eight

Later that day, I receive my first message.

Thunder had sent me out into the woods to fetch some berries for that night, and I am resting on a log near the creek. The green canopy provides much shade, but the bright sun still finds mischevious ways to make its way through the overgrowth, and I avert my eyes.

Suddenly, I hear a sound like a radar gun, and I look around. Spotting nothing, I go back to inspecting the thimbleberry bush.

"Timber Eyes," a voice calls from behind me, causing me to throw myself into the bush. I see a man in a dark cloak approaching me. He seems to have just appeared behind me.

"Who are you?" I question, my hand resting on my dagger.

"I am from the Countless," the man, almost laughing.

My heart jumps. Why would a Countless member come meet me in the woods? I thought I was supposed to have been exiled.

As if reading my mind, the man replies, "I am here on the matter of the certain mission we spoke to you about."

Of course.

The man makes to sit down on the log, and I scoot myself over, feeling slightly uncomfortable. His black cloak drapes down to the ground, resting in the newly-fallen leaves. The black hood covers his face comepletely, which is not so reassuring.

"Timber. We have to place a lot of trust in you with this mission."

I nod. Will this mission be dangerous? I think. I hope not.

"Timber, your new friends are not what they seem," he begins. "When they say they are from another tribe, they mean it. And when they say that the Countless rule them, that is also true.

"But, truely, we have come to favor Wolf over the Float. And we have discovered that the people of the Float are plotting to overthrow the Countless members that are stationed there."

"Wow," I say. Why would they want to overthrow them?

"Yes," the man continues. "I am afraid that your friends are part of those people, and to help protect Wolf, we need you to help us. If you ever hear them speaking of the plot, you must report to us."

I nod courtly. "Will I have to come back to Wolf to tell you?"

The msn shakes his head. "We are giving though this device that will activate when you say the word 'count'. It also must be in you hands." He holds out his hand and unfurled his fingers, revealing a small box. It look mechanical, but I can't be sure.

I take it from his hand, and tuck it safely into the coat pocket.

"Timber. You cannot tell anybody about this quest," the man says.

Then he dissipates into the air.

I take my time as I walk back to camp, thinking about what the man had said. How am I supposed to report what my new friends say to them? Isn't that double-agenting? I feel terrible.

"Timber!" Thunder shouts when I near the camp. She waves. "What took you so long?"

"I...got distracted," I reply, feeling sullen.

"Come on," Darky says loudly, putting her arm over my shoulder. She leads me to her bunk, and we climb the tree together. When we reach the bunk, she sits down beside me and looks into my eyes.

"What happened out there?" She asks. "You seem different."

"Ummm." I look down.

How can I lie to my best friend?