Chapter Fifteen

"What?!" I shout at Darky, probably a little too loudly. "So you do remember!"

She nods. "I remember parts of it."

"Tell me," I say excitedly. This could give us more clues about the Float. And maybe the Countless too.

"Well, I remember fighting something. I think it was an obstacle in the Maze...." Darky starts. She looks deep in thought.

"Go on," I urge her.

"I also remember swinging across a pit, and see a bunch of dead bodies at the bottom." Darky looks at me, grinning.

I give her the 'really?' stare.

"Okay, anyway, I remember what happened at the end," Darky continues, acting serious again. She stares off into the distance.

I sigh. This is just like her to stretch things out. She would be a great thriller writer....maybe.

"There was this yellow light that shone down on me," Darky says. "There were a bunch of people standing at the tunnel, staring at me. They seemed to be building something."

"Could you see what it was?" I ask incredulously.

Darky shakes her head. "No, but I think that.......never mind."

"Tell me!" I grumble.

Darky sighs, and stares at me. "I think the Maze wasn't finished."

+ + + + +

When Darky tells Thunder about the Maze, she screams.

"What did you do to her now?" Lumination asks, sneering.

Maple runs up to us, glaring at the boy. She rests her hand on Thunder's shoulder, and whispers into her ear.

"What happened?"

Thunder looks at Darky, then at Maple. She nods her head to the side, in the direction of Darky.

"Well, I figured out what happened in the Maze," Darky tells Maple, who stares intently at her. "I finished it, but they weren't done building it."

Now Maple shouts, and I smile.

"How was it not finished?" the pony-tailed girl inquires.

Darky shrugs.

"Maybe that's why nobody finished," I say.

Thunder nods. "Yes, probably."

"We need to start packing," Sage says, rushing up to us.

I had almost forgotten about going to the Dub today. We had talked about it last night, but my mind had blanked when I was reporting this morning.

Thunder stands up from the log she had been resting on, and we follow her to the place in which we keep our supplies. She begins to gather up food for the trip, and we follow suit.

After we have finished packing up all we need, Thunder starts to lead us out of the camp.

As we begin on the trail, I turn to Darky.

"Are you excited to meet the people from the Float?" I ask her. I catch myself hoping that she will respond no, and silently scold myself. I have to feel happy for my friend that she is finally seeing where she came from, but something is holding me back. I feel like I want to control how she feels.

And that can't be good.