Chapter 74: Nothing to Worry About

Start bij het begin

"And never did they dream that they

Might someday be divided,

For were there such friends anywhere

As Slytherin and Gryffndor?"

He gave me a soft smile as the hat continued to sing, an almost gloomy atmosphere filling the once joyful room.

"So how could it have gone so wrong?

How could such friendships fail?"

Severus placed a hand on mine beneath the table as everyone else focused on the singing hat. "Are you alright?" he whispered softly. I nodded though everything felt far from alright. I looked around the room at the students, noticing the confused looks on their faces as the hat continued singing.

"Though condemned I am to split you

Still I worry that it's wrong,

Though I must fulfill my duty

And must quarter every year

Still I wonder whether sorting

May not bring the end I fear.

Oh, know the perils, read the signs,

The warning history shows,

For our Hogwarts is in danger

From external, deadly foes

And we must unite inside her

Or we'll crumble from within.

I have told you, I have warned you. . . .

Let the Sorting now begin."

Murmurs and scattered clapping filled the Great Hall as the hat's song came to an end. The students were clapping but everyone seemed confused. Harry looked up at me before I followed his gaze, noticing his eyes finding Severus's hand on mine under the table. Severus followed my gaze, quickly releasing my hand and turning toward the first years being sorted. Harry furrowed his brows and I averted my gaze as the hat continued sorting the new students.

As the sorting ceremony came to a close I couldn't unhear the Sorting Hat's song. For Hogwarts is in danger from external, deadly foes... I have warned you.

Albus stepped up to the podium as my mind continued to wander.

"We have a few changes in staffing this year," Albus announced, pulling me from my thoughts. I could see Severus watching me, his brow raised slightly as he took in every change in my expression. I gave him a soft smile, giving his hand a gentle squeeze before turning to Albus as he announced Professor Grubly Plank's return as Hagrid was on temporary leave, my position as the potion's assistant, and Umbridge as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He was about to move on when we heard a giggle next to Severus and the pink blob stood up, a sickeningly sweet smile plastered on her face.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome... and how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me."

I looked out at the students whose faces seemed more annoyed than anything. I placed my elbow on the table, covering my mouth to stifle my laughter. I could feel Severus and Minerva looking at me but I focused on keeping my gaze forward, knowing I wouldn't be able to contain my laughter if I looked at them.

"I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends," Umbridge continued.

"That's likely," I heard Fred and George mutter at the Gryffindor table. I couldn't help the small snicker that slipped past my lips and Umbridge turned around, her eyes searching the head table as she searched for the source of the laughter. I had immediately wiped the smile off my face, giving her a bored look as she searched the table. Her eyes settled on me a bit longer than the rest before she turned toward the students once again. Fred, George, Harry, and Hermione were fighting to contain their laughter as they looked at me, knowing it was my laughter Umbridge had heard. Ron was more focused on the chicken in front of him.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school," she continued, looking at Albus who gave her a small nod. A smile was plastered on his face but I could see the annoyance in his eyes as she turned toward the students once again, her hands clasped in front of her.

"Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved and perfect what can be perfected and pruning practices ought to be prohibited." An annoying giggle left her lips as she turned around, heading to her seat. Scattered claps filled the hall as the students looked around at each other, grim looks on each of their faces. Umbridge made her way back to her seat and I could see Harry whispering to Hermione who looked up at me, a soft smile on her face though it didn't meet her eyes. She turned back to Harry, whispering something to him, before they both looked up at me. I tried to give them a small smile but it didn't feel genuine and I could tell they knew this as they returned to eating. Severus looked over at me as Umbridge took a seat beside him.

"Are you alright?" he murmured softly, keeping his voice low as we knew most people thought we'd broken up.

I nodded softly, trying to ignore the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as I felt Umbridge's eyes on me. Severus looked over, noticing her eyes lingering on me. Her thin lips pressed into a smile as Severus glared at her. She dropped her gaze, returning to her food as Severus raised a brow in my direction. I shook my head, silently telling him it was nothing to worry about. Was I trying to assure him or myself more? This I didn't know but I couldn't deny the sick feeling I got when Dolores's gaze returned to me halfway through the meal.

Nothing to worry about.