Chapter 15: Nervous

Over the next few days Severus actually seemed excited about the Yule Ball, though I knew he would deny it if anyone asked. One time I had actually caught him practicing in his chambers when I went to visit him one night but I pretended I hadn't seen anything, not wanting to embarrass him, plus I found it adorable.

I was sitting in my chambers the night before the ball when Severus knocked on the door. I quickly stood up, opening the door and he stepped inside, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Everything alright, love?" I asked, growing worried as he rested his head on top of mine and I could feel his heart racing. "Darling, what's going on?"

"I'm just... I'm a bit nervous for tomorrow. Darling... the truth is... I've only danced with one person before and... well, it's been years and I want tomorrow to be perfect. I want it to be perfect for you... but I don't... well, I don't think I'm good enough. The last person I danced with was you and that was nearly 20 years ago... and what I didn't tell you was how much the Malofys helped me practice so I could impress you."

"Oh, my darling. You'll be wonderful... Why didn't you tell me about the Malfoys helping you?"

"Why would I, darling?" he chuckled. "I wanted to impress you... but I fear it's been so long now... I don't think I even remember how."

"Would you like to practice with me?"

His eyes lit up and he nodded enthusiastically. I smiled, leading him into my living room. With a wave of his wand a slow song started playing. He bowed, holding out his hand.

"May I have this dance, my love?

I giggled, taking his hand in mine as he wrapped his arm around my waist, my hand resting on his shoulder. We began swaying to the music, his feet moving in perfect rhythm as I rested my head against his chest. I could feel his heart rate slowing to a more normal pace as we swayed to the music.

"You're a natural, Sev," I whispered. He pressed a kiss to the top of my head and I felt him smile against my hair.

"As are you, my dear," he whispered. He pulled away, spinning me around, and I laughed as he pulled me back into his chest. The song came to an end and he pulled away, bowing to me as I chuckled, returning the bow.

"You dance like that tomorrow and you'll be fine, love," I assured, rubbing his cheek. He smiled softly at me as another song began playing.

"May I?" he asked, holding out his hand. I chuckled, happily taking his hand, and we danced to a few more songs before falling asleep together.