Chapter 65: The Patronus

The next few days were awkward. Remus was the only one who knew the truth but he kept it to himself, simply telling everyone to give me space, including Sirius. I stayed in my room most of the time, worrying about whether or not my father would believe the little show we put on. If we picked up on the slightest eye movement that didn't look right he would dig deeper into Severus's mind and find out we weren't being truthful. It wasn't until a few days later that a small blue orb appeared in the room I was staying in. Severus's voice whispered from the orb, instantly grabbing my attention.

"Hi, love. This patronus is set to find you only when you are alone so I'm not sure when you'll get this."

Instantly, I thought. I've been alone since our 'fight.'

"I hope you're alright. The Dark Lord bought our little act. He was furious that we'd broken up but he seemed to believe it was only because you thought he wanted to use your magic. Quite honestly I'd never seen him that quiet. I couldn't quite get a read on him but he was just quiet after he'd seen the fight. Either way he bought our story and is trying to come up with something else to find you aside from ordering me to try to win you back. At some point I will have to find you and 'try to win you back,' as he put it, but we'll worry about that when the time comes. I love you, darling. Stay safe."

With that the blue orb flickered and was gone. I breathed a sigh of relief at knowing my father had bought the story and Severus hadn't been hurt. A few moments later there was a knock on the door and I opened it with a wave of my hand, watching as Remus stepped through.

"Any news?" he asked softly.

I nodded, patting the bed, and he took a seat.

"Severus sent a patronus. My father believed it."

Remus breathed a sigh of relief, placing a hand on mine.

"Are you doing alright after... all of that?"

"I'm alright. It wasn't real, Rem."

"I know it wasn't but... it was still intense. I just want to make sure you're alright."

"I'm good, Rem," I assured.

He smiled softly, placing a hand on my shoulder. "You gonna eat downstairs, or do you want me to bring up some food for you?"

"No, I'll eat with everyone. Thank you, though. It's about time I go downstairs. I think we've all had enough of me moping around over a breakup," I lowered my voice. "A breakup that's not real."

Remus chuckled. "They're just worried about you and they miss you. That's all, love."

I smiled as we stood up, making our way into the kitchen. What I hadn't been expecting was to see Severus standing in the hallway.