Chapter 57: Goodbye

"I love you so much, my darling," Severus whispered as he grabbed the duffel bag we had hastily packed, knowing my father could show up at any time.

"I love you too," I whispered, tears filling my eyes as I pressed my lips to his, not knowing when I would be able to do that again.

"Where will you go?" he asked softly, knowing we had sold my previous house and even if I could go there it would be too easy for my father to find me.

"For now... Grimmauld Place. I don't have any other option," I answered. I was relieved he didn't seem hurt when he learned the location I was headed. He nodded in understanding, placing a hand on the side of my face.

"Promise me you'll be safe."

"I promise, Sev."

He placed the duffel bag in my hands and the tears slipped down my cheeks. Suddenly another realization hit me as the handle was placed in my hands. "Wait, Sev! What will happen when my father realizes I'm not here!? W-what about you?" My voice cracked as I grabbed his hand, the Dark Mark staring up at me.

"Don't worry about me, my darling. I will be alright. I'll tell him Lucius had the wrong information and you were merely staying with me for a few days. It will be alright, my love... I promise you," he whispered, pressing his lips to my forehead. "He already believed we were on shaky ground as it is... Perhaps he will think we are taking some time... I... I would do anything to protect you from this." He looked down at the mark on his arm, noticing how my fingers lightly traced it. He placed the letter from Arthur in my hands, tears slipping down his face as he tried to maintain his composure.

"We never did get to finish our conversation earlier," I chuckled, wiping my tears.

He gave me a soft smile, cupping my cheek. "That's probably for the best, my love." There was a sad look on his eyes, not just from me leaving but from something else I couldn't quite place.

"What is it, Sev?"

"Nothing, my darling. It was simply in the heat of the moment... I was afraid you'd choose him over me... and I was prepared to let you."

"Wait... were you going to break up with me?"

"No, my love! Absolutely not! I just... want you to be sure that you're happy. I don't want you to regret anything."

"I regret nothing, Sev... nothing about our relationship will I ever regret."

He nodded, kissing my forehead. "I love you so much," he whispered. "No matter what happens... don't you ever forget that."

"I love you too, Sev," I whispered as a fresh wave of tears fell down my cheeks at his words, knowing our lives were about to change forever and probably not for the better.

"Take care of yourself," he whispered.

"You too."

Silence fell as there were no more words left to say. We had each stalled our time together as long as possible, dragging this moment out for as long as we possibly could.

"I'll see you at the Order Meetings, yeah?" he said, trying to convince himself more than me. I nodded, words failing me, as I dropped the duffel bag on the floor, throwing my arms around his neck and pressing my lips to his once again, trying to burn this feeling in my mind forever. The kiss was filled with tears and emotion as we poured all of our love into it. I pulled away slowly, grabbing the duffel bag off the floor, slinging it over my shoulder and opening the door. The late morning air still had a strange chill to it as I apparated to the front door of 12 Grimmauld Place.