Chapter 11: Reputation

"Good morning, princess." My eyelids fluttered open at the sound of Severus's voice.

"Were you here all night?"

"Maybe... I didn't want to leave you here alone."

"Aww, you're cute, Sev," I chuckled.

"Shh," he exclaimed, bringing a finger to his lips. "Don't tell anyone! I can't ruin my reputation, you know?"

"Your reputation as the grumpy Dungeon bat? Yes, we can't have you ruining that reputation, now can we?" I chuckled.
"You're lucky you're already in a hospital bed otherwise I'd make sure you weren't walking tomorrow."

His words sent warmth through my body and I slapped his chest playfully.

"Poppy said you're good to go whenever you wake up. She just needs to check you over one last time to be sure."

I nodded and, as if on cue, Poppy walked toward my bed.

"How are you feeling, dear?"

"Fine. Just ready to sleep in my own room. As much as I love spending time with you, Poppy, I'm ready to leave."

She chuckled, checking my vitals, and nodding every so often.

"Everything looks good. Your wound is completely healed. Magic works wonders," she chuckled. "If you are feeling up to it you may begin standing."

I nodded enthusiastically, and Severus stood up, still holding my hand in his, as he waited for me to make a move. I slowly began moving the covers off my body and swung my legs off the bed and onto the floor.

"Take it slow, darling," Severus soothed, grabbing my arm, before carefully helping me stand. I felt a bit dizzy but I assumed that was normal. Severus let go of my arm hesitantly, carefully watching me as I stood.

"You alright?" he asked.

"I'm alright, Sev," I assured, giving him a soft smile. I moved to take a step forward but I felt a bit dizzy and felt my body move sideways before Severus grabbed me.

"Poppy, are you sure she is okay to leave?" Severus asked, growing concerned.

"With all of the pain potions we had to give her to keep her comfortable, a bit of dizziness is perfectly normal. I don't think it's doing her any good being locked in the Hospital Wing. Besides, I think we both know you'll be a much better caretaker than anyone here," she chuckled. "If she seems to be getting worse, come find me. If it is just a bit of dizziness, don't worry. It will pass in a few hours."

Severus nodded, though he hadn't let go of me. His arms wrapped around my waist felt like home and I buried my face in his chest. He kissed the top of my head before carefully leading me out of the Hospital Wing.

***

The next few weeks were a blur of preparations for the ball and the students being taught to dance. Severus had to teach the students to dance and he was particularly grumpy about it. I thought back to our previous conversation about the dance and couldn't help but giggle to myself.

...

"Ugh, I have to teach those dunderheads to dance today," Severus said, taking off his cloak and setting it on a chair behind his desk.

"Aw, Sev. I thought you liked the Slytherins," I answered, giggling at his grumpy mood.

"I like them better than the other houses but most of them are still dunderheads and now I have to teach them to dance."