prologue

maisy hart met her three very best friends in the summer of her 9th year on earth. fresh out of miami, florida, the state of oranges, and straight into somerville, massachusetts, the state where she would meet the most amazing people in her life. looking at her new home, she was rather anxious. it was this quaint white house with a fiery red door and long driveway. windows upon windows showed themselves and a wrap around porch where she knew she would play with her dolls, where a huge tree with a tire swing lay at the center of her lawn. she couldn't understand why her parents left the beaches and sunshine for all this greenery. no matter how many times they told her that a job opportunity arose that they could not shut down, she would not hear it. she's known for being quite stubborn.

what she did not expect was there to be three boys, who seemed to be around the same age as her, right next door running around on their front lawn with a wildness she had never seen. being an only child, she has spent the first 9 years completely dependent on her toys to and her former soccer team to occupy her time.

a little while after the moving trucks had left, maisy was outside playing with her soccer ball where she had spotted the three boys again. after making eye contact, very occasionally, one decided to run up to her.

"hey! i'm nic. those are my brothers matt and chris. our mom told us people would be moving in soon and they might let us use their tire swing. it's been here...just sitting untouched. can we play on it?" nic had asked. during this time, his two brothers had walked up behind him.

"oh, sure. go for it." maisy had replied. she went back to playing with her soccer ball, assuming they didn't want to play with her. back in Florida, she never really had anyone to call a 'best friend.'

"aren't you gonna try it?" one of the brothers said. she believed this one was matt. they all looked so much alike, she wasn't sure if she could ever be able to tell them apart.

"oh yea! sounds fun!" maisy responded.

"you have to try it first, since it's your house and all." the last brother, chris, had said. he had stayed quiet the whole time, just watching her. it made her a bit nervous, but she was sometimes shy too.

maisy had gone on the swing, matt next, nick after, and then chris. during his time, he had fallen off, to which his brothers started laughing at him. finding it funny as well, maisy had joined in. this hurt chris. he didn't like being embarrassed in front of the pretty girl next door. he got up, ran back to his house, declaring in his head he would never talk to maisy again.

maisy had felt bad, but her new friends had reassured her that he would come around. he always did. however, she didn't know how untrue that statement would be for the next 10 years of her life.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

the four had grown close, maisy and chris still a bit awkward, but nothing that they couldn't handle. she still called chris her best friend, in hopes he would eventually give her that same title back.

in fifth grade, avalon west had entered the picture. matt and maisy had gotten into the same class when the new student from maine had walked in. with pigtails in her hair and a gapped tooth smile, maisy knew she had to be friends with her while matt was entranced. maisy volunteered for avalon to be sat next to her, where they had hit it off, sharing a bond of soccer, and had invited the new girl to sit with her as well as her three best friends at lunch. from this day on, maisy and avalon were the bestest of friends; the sisters the two never had. they played soccer together, tried out for cheer together,(they did not make the team), cried over boys together, shared sleepovers, won best friends in high school, and eventually, both fell in love with a sturniolo boy.

while one had always knew, the other just needed a bit more pushing.

this is maisy and chris, but from a new perspective.