Chapter 41 - is she coming?

August 09, 2032

August 09, 2032

A lot happened the last couple of weeks. In the beginning I was ready to take my life in my own hands. It really hurt when I saw those videos and I was really grateful that Justin did came to the house to watch them with me. If I had seen them alone, I would have gone after Hailey. I really wanted to hurt her, even harder than she did to me. I fucking lost my leg because of her, two people died that evening because of her. I had reached out to the family that they left behind and dad was helping them with their case against Hailey.

But with every victory we've got in the courtroom I became moodier. It felt so empty without Rose. Every day I watched the doors till the last person came in before they closed them and every time, I was disappointed for not seeing her enter. With every message I sent her that she read and didn't respond to I felt hurt. I missed her so much.

Yesterday, mom bought me a bouquet of roses and placed it in my room. The scent reminded me of her and for the first time in weeks I slept better. I was back to cranky Lucas, and I hated it. Mom said I was heartbroken and just smiled at me when I denied it. This morning after my shower I shaved myself again. I was necessary and they needed to see in court what Hailey had caused me.

During breakfast everyone was quiet. When we arrived and saw all the press in front of the courtroom, I was nervous. I rubbed my sweaty palms over my pants and opened one of the buttons of my shirt. Mom turned around and faced me "it's going to be fine Lucas. We have enough proof."

"I know." I muttered to him.

We were a bit early, but I preferred it, I can walk long distances but still rather slow. Taking our place in the courtroom I pulled out my phone, hoping to see a message from Rose but again nothing. The jury walked in and the judge. Hailey and her dad were brought in followed by their lawyer. I looked to see what time it was, another 5 minutes and we would start, I turned half around to watch the doors. Most of the people following the case were already inside and sitting down. Megan and Brandon sat behind us with mom. Mom gave me an encouraging smile. Justin walked just and seemed a bit stressed. When he reached the bench behind us, he muttered "Ivy was grumpy this morning. And then there was an accident a block away, traffic is horrible."

"You're still on time." Mom assured him.

"Hailey looks horrible." Justin chuckled.

I heard Megan whisper "is she coming?" to Justin.

"I tried yesterday, but I don't think so."

Were they talking about Rose? I frowned and watched them closely; I know that both my sister and brother befriended Rose in the last weeks. Megan even went on a camping trip with her last weekend.

"We are going to start Lucas." Dad said.

I nodded and watched the door for a last time and then turned around. She didn't come. The judge started the day, the prosecutor started reading out the charges and I zoned out. Dad started with his witness hearing and then the videos were shown. Hailey's dad cursed, till now they didn't know we had them. Hailey her father was questioned, mostly to find out what he had said to her when she called him after the accident. 2 hours later the judge ended the sitting, and we would continue tomorrow.