Chapter 38 - Guessing her password.

"Good morning, I would like to see Mr

"Good morning, I would like to see Mr. Miller."

"Do you have an appointment?" She asked me.

"Not really no."

"I'm sure he can make some time for his further son-in-law." I told her and her eyes widened.

"Excuse me sir, but he isn't present today."

"Ah, then maybe I can see someone from accounting."

"Of course, sir, I let him know." She called someone and nodded, glanced to me, and stood up after cutting the call. "He is expecting you at level 5."

When I stepped out of the elevator every one of the staff looked up and was now openly staring at me.

An older man walked towards me "Mr. Rutherford?" he asked me while he held his hand towards me.

"Yes" I said while shaking his hand.

5 minutes later he had brought me towards a conference room and handed me the books. It was identical to what I already had at home. I had asked him a couple of questions, but I had the impression that he didn't knew or that he was lying really good. 1 hour later I told him that everything looked fine although something was off and said goodbye. Walking outside I stepped into my uber just when someone stepped in from the other side. "Sorry sir, this is my uber." I told him.

"I know Mr. Rutherford. But I need to speak to you." I watched at the man and noticed that he seemed nervous, and I recognized him as someone that I had seen at the accounting department.

I nodded "okay, call me Lucas. Who are you?"

"Tom, and I have something for you" he handed me a file. I frowned at him but started to go through it.

"Why did you give this to me?" I asked him when I was done.

"Because I heard them talk about it 11 months ago. She had found the engagement ring that you had bought, and she was complaining to her dad about how small it was."

"Really?" I snorted.

He nodded "that's why I continued listening. After her complaining she asked how the business was doing. Nearly bankrupt her dad told her. That's when they came up with the prenup and started adapting the books."

"So, they are really setting me up."

"Yes, and with the prenup, all the debts would be for you, not for them. I'm glad that I had the chance today to speak to you."

"Okay, for now I let them think that I didn't find out. I need to talk to my dad first. And thank you for this."

I asked the driver to drop Tom off at his home first. I wrote my number on one of dad's his business card "If you ever need something call me or my dad." I told him handing the card.