8 | that night pt. 1

content warning: graphic sexual content

During that time, Florence was heavily involved with Kevin, so she wasn't able to hangout with Ethan as regularly as they used to during their university days

During that time, Florence was heavily involved with Kevin, so she wasn't able to hangout with Ethan as regularly as they used to during their university days. Ethan was fine with that since he knew she had her own life and he had his but he missed the times when they could hang out.

When Ethan first met Florence, he never would have expected they'd be friends and even though their personalities were wildly different, they still found common ground, namely in the form of critiquing bad movies together and talking about popular culture and society.

After Florence started dating trash men, those days had ended, or so he thought.

One night, Florence called him, asking if it was okay to come over. Thinking it would be just like old times, Ethan asked if she wanted to watch a movie together or if she just wanted to talk.

After a few minutes of talking on the phone, it was clear she was just looking for comfort and in those days, he still wanted to be there for her, so he agreed, saying it was fine by him. It didn't take a genius to figure out that she had been crying all night. He could hear it in her voice, in the way it was hard for her to get words out, and how any topic that veered too close to Kevin elicited tears.

"I'll see you soon," he had told her on the phone.

Next thing he knew, she was knocking on his front door and he let her come inside.

It had been raining but the rain wasn't enough to stop her from coming all this way. Her clothes were drenched and Ethan remembered offering her a towel that night to dry herself off. She accepted, wrapping herself around it, as if she was trying to find any semblance of warmth.

"I should've brought an extra change of clothes," she muttered. Her long blonde hair stuck to her skin, and she looked absolutely miserable, even without the whole being outside in the rain.

"It's okay," he said. "I can lend you some of my clothes, if you'd like? But it might be big."

Florence bit her lip, pondering the offer. "I shouldn't. If... well, thank you for offering."

Ethan nodded. "Well, why don't you come on in and sit down?"

He gestured towards his living room, which felt much smaller somehow now that Florence was here. Aside from his sorry excuse of a couch, he had a coffee table and a TV hanging on the wall.

"Thank you for letting me come over," Florence said as she sat down on the couch. The towel was still wrapped around her and she stared blankly into space, as if she wasn't even there.

Ethan sat down on the opposite end of the couch, trying to give her some personal space, which was hard when the couch was already designed for two people to sit on. It would be far too easy to accidentally hit her with his elbow so he tried to sit as still as he could, which was a challenge.