Adam took a step forwards. "On the count of 3, you will start the spar," he looked between me and Jake. "1, 2, 3."

I lunged forward at the count of 3 with daggers flashing in the air. Jake immediately parried my attack with his polearm, using the weapon's length to keep a distance.

Narrowing my eyes, I ducked under his weapons to avoid them and tried to slash his legs. He reacted fast and jumped back before swinging his polearm in a wide arc, trying to hit me.

I grinned at the familiar weapon style that I had fought against far too many times, I darted just barely out of range of the polearm before going back in for another slice. We continued this dance for a while before a thought passed my mind and purposely clashed with Jake's weapon and locked it.

"Question, are we supposed to defeat each other? The spars that I normally have are duration spars," I asked quietly while panting since I assumed the group of people just now are his friends.

Duration spars are similar to typical spars but it is much more relaxed as the goal is merely last for a certain amount of time instead of defeating the other opponent. Mine normally last for an hour and there is also someone who will keep track of the time, so the fact that I didn't know who was keeping track of the time made me question it.

Jake's eyes widen while he panted. "I surrender," he said loudly before I unlocked our weapon. "Just so you know, most spars within the faction are defeating each other unless they are told," Jake explained while panting.

I nodded in understanding before walking over to the weapon rack to put away the weapon. "Nova, can I spar with you?" a male asked. "Or do you want to rest first?"

I turned around to see a tall, muscular and toned guy with an athletic build, short, dark red hair that is neatly styled and piercing green eyes stepping forward. His face is well-defined with a strong jawline, high cheekbones, a straight nose and a clean-shaven face.

I shook my head and smiled in anticipation since the previous sparing match was not that satisfying. "Let's spar, let me change my weapon first?" I asked.

The guy nodded before we walked over to the racks as Jake got off the platform. "Are daggers not your main weapon?" he asked quietly.

I looked at it as I put it back on the rack. "Kind of? I like the feeling of duel daggers more for duration sparing so I could focus on my prediction and reaction speed, swords are more suitable in a lot of situations that required me to finish quickly," I explained as I grabbed a sword.

The guy also grabbed a sword. "So just now you were having a duration spar with Jake? No wonder he surrendered," he said while chuckling as he walked towards the sparing platform.

I tilted my head in confusion. "What do you mean by that?" I asked but I received no reply so I just shrugged it off and didn't bother to ask again.

I stood across from the guy and studied him for a second and knew immediately there is no chance am I winning against him. After years of sparing against my brothers, I knew that I still need to give it my all unless I want to be pummeled.

Adam took a step forwards again. "On the count of 3, you will start the spar," he looked between me and the guy and we both ready our swords. "1, 2, 3."

I lunged forward at him and swung at him with my sword, hoping to catch him off guard with my speed. He easily blocked the blow and countered with a swift strike, which Nova barely managed to dodge.

I narrowed my eyes at him and started darting left and right around him, but he was always one step ahead. He suddenly increased the intensity of his attacks, forcing Nova to focus on defending herself.