Chapter 4

Once I reached the surface, I looked around and immediately found the place I was looking for. It looked a lot like a shopping mall with those huge windows which shop labels.

I walked towards the door before pushing it open, I was stunned by the amount of noise coming from the inside before I poked my head into it. The place was huge as there were several floors to it and was filled with shops with the centre being hollowed, allowing people to look up and see every floor and the shops.

The bottom floor of the centre walkway was filled to the brim with chairs, tables, couches, beanbags and more with soft carpet flooring. There were also tons of people talking and laughing loudly with far too many conversations going on at once to listen in to what are they talking about.

I wanted to walk straight out of the building before I spotted someone familiar among the crowd, I hesitated before stepping into the place. I glanced at the person before heading up to the higher floors, even though there are no such comfortable sitting areas on the other floors but there are many benches by the glass railings that overlook the centre area.

I sat down on one of the benches and leaned my head against the glass railing as I stared at a girl laughing and talking among people that I recognized from the high society. She has pale skin and sharp, angular facial features, bright, electric blue eyes and shoulder-length, deep violet hair that is tied up in a half-up hairstyle.

"Long time no see, Echo," I muttered softly with a small smile, wondering if she would hear me.

Even though Echo was talking to them, I could tell she was looking around with her eyes subtly as she turned from looking at one person to another. "I'm on the 4th floor silly," I muttered again.

Echo immediately stood up and waved goodbye to the high society people before making her way to the elevator. I smiled as she got into the lift, I made eye contact with her and I could see her smile widen as the door closed.

I stood up from the bench and headed towards a dark corner that people will need to deliberately look to find. I stayed near it by leaning against a wall before I spotted Echo walking over quickly with a grin on her face.

My smile widen as I pushed myself off the wall, I walked into the dark corner and waited for her. The moment she stepped into the corner, she threw her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly which I quickly return.

"I can't believe you gain an ability, Nova," Echo said excitedly before pulling away. "I missed talking to you so much, the people in the high society are such a pain to deal with when I don't even know who to trust."

Echo is my childhood friend when we lived in the same neighbourhood, her parents also disappeared at the same time as my parents. Being the only child, she was taken by her relatives in high society and raised there.

Her relatives owned one of the top spaceship technology companies and in a world that practically depends on spaceships to travel, she gets a lot of unwanted attention and ridiculously high expectations from her family, other high society people and some fans or admirers. For her to say that I'm her only true friend is quite accurate, I don't even know how she managed to survive this long in such an environment.

I chuckled. "I would have never survived if I were in your position but now I'm here, we can actually call each other but interaction like this will still be rare," I said with a shrug.

Echo sighed in defeat and nodded. "I know, but now I know you are here, I want to be in a team with you more," she said with a pout.

I smiled helplessly. "There are so many problems that will come if you were to do this," I said bluntly which made her frown knowingly. "Similar to you, I don't like the high society since there are so many weird rules that make no sense in the first place."