Part 12 | let the game begin

Heads up: there are 2 P.O.Vs in this chapter

Vs in this chapter

Kennedy's P.O.V

Sam was alive?

He couldn't be. That's not right. The world froze around me as I stared at Caiden's message on my phone.

"What is it?" Sakura asked concerned.

I was at a loss for words. Around the table Tristan, Sakura and Gabriella watched on waiting for what had me so worked up.

"She looks a little pale," Tristan brought up. His soft eyes assessing me from the opposite side of the table.

"Do you think someone died?" Sakura leaned over to whisper to Gabriella. 

Staring at the text I couldn't get the words out to correct her. Someone hadn't died, in fact from Caiden's text it seems as though the opposite had happened.

How long had Sam been alive? Did they find him after the attack? They couldn't have, could they? My heart was banging against my chest, knocking on my ribs over and over again to get out. I wasn't sure if I could breathe.

Another text came through. But once I saw that this time it was a photo, my throat twisted into knots. There was a photo of him, its been years since the accident but all I could see in my head was a version of Sam, wet by the ocean and bloodied and bruised.

"Kennedy?"

I couldn't picture in my right mind for him to be alive. It just couldn't be could it? The photo finally loaded appearing in chat as cover image from a WSL news headline. Clicking on it, an image of a boy with wet brown waves and glistening tan skin was emerging from the ocean.

No blood. No bruises. He was picture perfect with no limb or skin tainted.

The only thing tainted was my heart.

"Kennedy?" Voices stirred around me.

"Is she okay?"

My head was spinning. It felt as though I was being held underwater. A wave of emotions forming a tsunami in my throat. With blurry eyes I read what I could of the title for the magazine cover image.

The Conroy Brother returns to the water.

Sam.

To see it published on a global article stopped my heart altogether. The dead lives again. Has my dad seen the article yet? The press? Was I about to be bombarded with questions and blinding flashes in my face even more than I am now?