Part 10 | false hope

Kennedy's P

Kennedy's P.O.V

I couldn't contain my nerves as I waxed my board. I'm not sure why, I shouldn't be nervous, I was the surf champion out of the three of us. So why was my stomach in the middle of a gymnastics routine?

Across from Isaac and I, Rylan had distanced himself a good three metres away. His brown waves falling in-front of his eyebrows as drew small circles with his wax on his board. There was a frown creased on his forehead and as much as I hated it, I saw so much of Sam in him physically.

It hurt.

"Twenty bucks on the first wave!" Sam called out as he ran into the white water , jumping on top of his board. I followed after him as fast as I could, pulling my board beneath my  body. "Make it thirty!" Rylan shot back and paddled past me, shooting me the smallest of smiles as he went.

I haven't seen him surf since I left but to say he was good was an understatement. The Conroy brothers used to shred waves like no other, the ocean ran through their veins except now the legacy remains with one. Rylan Conroy.

He glanced at me through his lashes before tearing his eyes back down to his board. His grip tightened on the wax and he began pressing harder.

Was this the boy I remember? He had always kept to himself, but never in this cold way.

His brother died, I reminded myself.

That would tear someone apart. I would know that because returning home has made me realize the wounds I didn't know had torn apart and I don't know how to put them back together alone.

"How long were you gone for?" Isaac spoke up.

I looked up at the sound of a voice, allowing me to finally escape from my mind. Isaac was looking at me whilst he added a topcoat to his board.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I said, not realizing it was me who he was talking to.

"Back at Randy's yesterday you said you used to live here." The muscles in his forearm appeared as he continued the circular motion.

I nodded. "Yeah, this is where I grew up."

"So where did you go to?"

Before I had a chance to reply, Rylan had stopped waxing his board, his voice cold as he spoke for me, "She went to that shithole called America."

Isaac and I shifted our gaze to him as he stood up and tucked the Al Merrick board beneath his armpit. I stared back at him, an indescribable feeling forming in my stomach. He so heartless.

"Excuse me?" I furrowed my brows.

"You heard me."

The look I gave him said otherwise. I don't know what it was but the part of me that was still connected to Sam wanted me to maintain some kind of ground with Rylan.