Chapter Fourteen

"Ugh. What happened to you? You look disgusting." I set my keys on the counter, and turned to glare at the bully.

"Thanks Dad...This guy on a ladder spilled paint on me and Theo." I turned from my laughing father, who seemed to not care about my well being. He can be so helpful to his patients, but his daughter on the other hand? Not so much.

I climbed upstairs and hastily took a shower, the paint was pretty easy to get off. It just was hard to locate.
It seemed every time I would be finished, I found more paint clumped in my hair. There was a little on my cast, but I managed to dab it off.

Putting on a baby blue sweater dress, I scrutinized it in the mirror. Not really what I was going for. I changed into a white sweater and a plaid skirt. No, too school girlish especially with my cast. A black lace body con. Too sexy. I finally came up with the right one. A white Jack Daniels sleeveless, with my leather jacket and a maroon skirt. I pulled my hair into a messy bun, and admired myself.

I looked sexy, and cute. Exactly what I was going for.

I pulled my phone from my suede shoulder bag, and spent a couple minutes figuring out what would sound okay to let Theo know that I'm ready to go on a date with him. I finally settled on the most vague and simple I could muster. 

Hey. I'm ready.

I waited the thirty seconds that it took for him to reply, my stomach doing somersaults. Ash rubbed against my leg and I leaned down and scratched his head. He was so darn cute. His two inch tail curled up and a low hum sounded. Then he put his lit paws in the air, trying to catch my cast only to fall backwards. I of course melted.

Finally my phone dinged, and I unlocked it immediately to read his message.

I'm in your driveway, Princess.

I wasn't surprised, except I couldn't help but wonder how long he'd been there. And if my dad went to investigate why there was someone sitting in our driveway. I could only pray today wasn't the day he suddenly decided to pay attention to his surroundings.

I ran down my stairs, and came face to...bagel with my dad.

He had an entire bagel protruding from his mouth, and his hands were full of breakfast items like frozen waffles and sausage. Perfect.

"I'm just...I'm just not going to ask. So I have some things to do, and I'm going to cash in that personal day that you promised I could have, but I've never used. I'll see you later, Daddy. I love you." I kissed his cheek as he tried to protest through the bagel. I ignored the muffled sound, and ran out the front door, locking it on my way out to slow down my dad if he tried to follow. Definitely going to hear about this later, when he notices my car still in the driveway.

"Princess." Theo greeted, opening the passenger door for me, and helping me into his truck.

"Theo." I grinned at him, and he bit his lip. His eyes strayed down to my matte covered ones, but instead of kissing me again, he stepped back and closed the door. My stomach was twisting in all sorts of new ways because of this boy. 
He got behind the wheel, and put arm behind my seat to turn and pull out of the driveway. I was very aware of it. It was like he had his arm around me.  But then his hand went back to the gear shift when he got on the main road, and I felt sad and disappointed. Too bad he drives stick... 

"Where are we going?" I asked, staring at his hand. If it was just two inches to the right, he would be touching my knee. I thought back to last night, when we were cuddling on the couch.

"Well, I was thinking breakfast, and a movie. Keep it classy. We'll reserve spontaneous for our spontaneous dates." Surprise dates? I like that notion.