Chapter 24 - Feels Like Goodbye

Start from the beginning

Her heart instantly started racing and she pulled her hand away from his and also took a step back. She looked at the ground, gathering the strength to speak and he waited in anticipation with a clenched fist, wondering how she would react.

She then sighed and looked up with a blank expression. "I see. There was no need for you to tell me you're getting married. It's none of my business."

He scoffed, wondering why he had hoped for a very specific reaction, which turned out to not even be close. "You know what? Maybe you're right. I shouldn't have mentioned it to you."

"Exactly! It's not like I care."

"Of course you don't."

Olivia could hear her heart pounding in her ears and her body temperature began to rise. She wiped her forehead when she felt the dampness and sighed to keep her composure but it wasn't as easy as she thought to stand before him and act like it was all alright.

"If that's all you came for, thanks for everything. Goodbye." Her voice trembled and she turned around to rush back inside the house.

Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks when he mentioned that Pete had been admitted to the same hospital as his mother.

She looked over her shoulder as she asked what happened to Pete and after Ethan explained how he made him bleed out of anger, she turned around with a gasp as she placed her hand over her mouth.

Unhappy with her reaction, he took a step forward with his head tilted as he questioned her concern for Pete.

"I didn't like how uncomfortable he made me feel but I never thought it would come to this," she said.

"I couldn't hold back so I beat him up, more than I wanted to and more than I should have. He'll never bother you again because I told him to stay away from you. You're off limits."

"Really?" she asked, her eyes widening as she tucked her hair behind her ear with a smile.

"Yes." He smiled back at her before he repeated himself. "You'll always be off limits."

She looked away as her heart raced, then let out a forced chuckle. "You know what? You really confuse me."

"Meaning?" He shrugged.

She parted her lips to explain, but pressed them together for a few seconds as she shook her head. "Forget it. So how's Pete now?"

"Do you want to see him?" he asked, clenching his fists.

"No, I'm just curious."

"He's not in any type of danger but if he ever comes near you, I'll m-"

"I love the car," she said, cutting his words to not get her hopes up by what he would say to her.

"Uh...."

"Was that all you came for?"

He scoffed. "It almost sounds like you don't want me here."

"I don't."

"I'll leave soon but I'm not done yet. Martha came to my house in the middle of the night."

"Why?"

"What else? She was looking for her son."

"Don't you find it strange that she came to the same house twice?"

"So what? She's blind and out of her mind. No one would believe anything she says. I sent her away immediately. I only wish to go back to my mother."

"You shouldn't have done that."