100. Yinshan Village

Chapter 345

The paper doyen walks slowly past Bai Liu, and unlike the small, stiff paper figures, it moves as smoothly and freely as a real person.

At the moment when the paper daoist passed Bai Liu, Bai Liu launched Mu Sicheng, matching the sound of the paper man's footsteps, and followed closely behind.

Mu Sicheng looked back at Bai Liu with a questioning look on his face, gestured and asked with a gesture: What are we doing here?

Bai Liu replied with a gesture: You have seen paper men chasing corpses before, follow them and you may find your body.

The paper daoist strides forward with the peach sword in his hand, seemingly blind to Bai Liu and Mu Sicheng who are following him because of his lack of eyes, and as he passes through one tomb after another, Bai Liu hears the sound of rushing water.

After another passage through the narrow tomb, a long river, some fifty metres wide, appears in front of Bai Liu.

The water in the river flows rapidly, and Bai Liu can see the splash of the water against the rocks in the light of the incense burner raised by the paper figures in front of him, over which a short white bridge spans.

The bridge is so low and narrow that it almost touches the water, and there are no guard rails on either side, so it feels like anyone on the bridge could reach the water with one hand.

Of course there was no one on the bridge, only a few shadows of Bai Liu, whose exact appearance was not visible for the moment, trailing slowly across the bridge.

The closer we got to the river and the bridge, the more Bai Liu could smell a strange watery stench, and the short white bridge, which looked like a rock from afar, turned out to be just a paper bridge made of greasy paper, on top of which came and went some ghosts with dull faces, walking on tiptoe, and some black translucent remnants.

But these are not the most striking features, the most striking are the women on the bridge, holding white umbrellas and walking gracefully as if in the rain.

With their backs to Bai Liu, these women, holding oil-paper umbrellas and wearing white birthday dresses, shake their white handkerchiefs in their bare feet as they walk from the middle of the bridge to its head, swinging their umbrellas back and forth, as if ready to turn back.

Mu Sicheng was waiting with bated breath for the women to turn around, but the women with umbrellas suddenly dropped them and jumped into the river.

The bodies of these women floated face down under the paper bridge, their hair spreading long in the water, floating motionlessly under the bridge, but as the bodies crossed the bridge, the bodies became face up again.

The face-up corpse had a malevolent smile on its puffy, black and blue face, and its two eyes were fixed on the "man" still walking on the bridge, turning from side to side in search of something, but when it could not find it, the malevolent smile on the corpse's face became more and more distorted, and then slowly drifted away.

Shortly afterwards, women walking with oil-paper umbrellas suddenly appear again in the middle of the bridge.

Bai Liu stared at these women walking from the bridge, and soon he noticed what seemed to be the same batch of women, floating in a constant loop over the bridge and under the river, walking over it again and again, jumping off it, and floating under it again.

Every time they drifted under the bridge these women's eyes would be dead on the bridge as if they were looking for something.

As they failed to find them again and again, the women looked at the passers-by on the bridge with increasing resentment and venom, as if they were resenting the "people" on the bridge for blocking their search.