Chapter 27: Vivarium

Sebastian POV

We laid in bed just holding each other for what seemed like ages it was like our bodies were trying to make up for the time we had lost together. I played with her hair as she nestled into my bare chest. "I wish I could take you somewhere, somewhere far from here." I said her head turning up to me.

"Further than Hogsmeade or Feldcroft. Further than London even." I continued "What sort of place did you have in mind then?" She asked with a small smirk crawling over her lips as she adjusted her body to get a better look at me. " I don't know, a beach maybe , an ocean seaside, somewhere we could watch the waves. It's been ages since I've been to the ocean." Her brows narrowed and her smile grew.

She hopped off the bed and threw my shirt at me. "Get dressed Sallow, I want to show you something." She stated with excitement radiating over her voice. I did what she asked. "Where are we going exactly?" I asked as I zipped up my pants. She just smiled back. "Ready?" She questioned after I was dressed grabbing my hand leading me out the doorway of our room.

I assumed she was going to lead me out of the room of requirement but walked past the entrance, instead traveling up a small staircase tucked away in the left corner of the room. I followed her upwards to be met by a large intricate glass and metal opening the sound of distant waves coming from inside. She grabbed my hand and smiled up at me before walking through.

I hesitated briefly closing my eyes before entering behind her. The smell of sea salt hit me with a burst of air and I opened my eyes. I spun around slowly letting my mind take in the beauty around me. "What do you think?" She asked softly as she watched me with amusement. "It's brilliant!" I exclaimed scooping her up by her waist and spinning her with me now.

"I know it's still technically the castle but it's a beach." She said with a soft smile. "You are full of surprises aren't you?" I asked planting a small kiss on her before setting her back down.

Y/N POV

It was rare that I got to see even a glimpse of this part of him anymore. A child like wonder about the world softening his usually hard exterior. This lifetime had been so cruel to him dealing him more than most could have handled, causing him to build up so many walls and letting very few in. I was grateful to be one of them.

"My parents use to take us to the beach." He spoke softly watching the tide pull the water in like he was recalling a distant memory. I looked at him a smile was still on his lips but a sadness now in his eyes. I grabbed his hands in mine. "I miss them." He sighed still looking out at the water. "I know." I said softly pulling myself into his chest, he rested his chin on my head.

I wish I could take away the pain and sorrow that clung to him so deeply. I could take it I knew how from Isadoras powers...but it was not mine to take. We buried it for a reason but sometimes I did wonder what could have happened if I hadn't. The darkness was a part of Sebastian, a part I had accepted and loved. I just hoped someday he could too. I was interrupted in thought by the loud flapping of massive wings over head.

Sebastian instinctively drew his wand pointing it above us. I smiled and grabbed his hand lowering his wand. "Relax, it's just Highwing." I chuckled as she landed near us trotting towards a troff of food. "Is that....a bloody hippogriff?" He asked with a bewildered look in his eyes.

"Do you want to meet her?" I asked holding out my hand to him. He hesitated for a moment looking at me like I had lost my damn mind. "Are you barking mad?!" He said shifting his eyes back and forth between me and Highwing. I laughed a bit at his uncertainty. " I'll teach you how. Do you trust me?" I said offering my hand out once more this time, he took hold of it.

I guided him closer to her before letting go of his hand. "Stay right there." I whispered to him as I moved a bit closer. Highwing met my eyes and I bowed before her she tilted her head and bowed back. "Hello Highwing." I said reaching out and stroking her beak. "this is my friend Sebastian, play nice." I warned her before turning back to him.

"You're turn." I said gesturing him to bow. He had a look on his face I couldn't quit place at first, was he...scared? The idea of Sebastian being afraid of something had never crossed my mind as a possibility. We'd fought trolls, giant spiders, inferi he never once hesitated but a hippogriff? I giggled a bit at the thought.

"What?!" He sighed As he was bowing "am I doing it wrong?" His eyes still darting between us. "No, no you're doing great see." I said as Highwing bowed her head back. He let out a deep exhale and shot me a relieved smile. "You can come pet her now." I said to him the smile quickly dropped, that unsettled look returning to his face.

He slowly walked towards me reaching out his hand She nuzzled her beak into his hand. His face brightened again like it had when we first entered the vivarium. I smiles back. "Want to go for a ride?" I asked his eyes lit up at the thought. I ran my fingers through her feathers ruffling them a bit and she knelt down instinctively allowing me to hop on.

"You coming?" I questioned scooting back making room for him at the base of the neck. He lips curled up and he jumped on in front of me. "Hold on tight!" I shouted and I lightly smacked highwing on the behind and she took off. I wrapped my arms around him as she galloped toward the water. I could hear the laughter echoing through him as I pressed my ear to his back. Suddenly her wings sprawled and we lifted off the ground.

After a moment I let go of his waist spreading my arms out to the side of me looking up to the sky and let a loud "WooHoo!" He turned back to look at me with the largest smile I had seen from him in awhile. He looked so carefree, happy. He let go of Highwing neck copying my move. I wrapped my arms back around him as he did cuddling into him planting a few small kisses on his back. I was happy too.

I was glad I could be the one bringing him these moments of joy, no matter how far and few between they may be. These were the moments he needed, the moments I need too...The light to pull him out of the darkness, and I was determined to continue to give him more of them, to be his light.