Chapter Nineteen

I stand immediately after seeing George.

My voice comes out as a whisper, but I know he heard me. He looks at me once I speak– once he knows it's me.

I walk over to him and this woman.

I know Jeremiah is following me– just like I know he also heard what I said. He's on edge, as am I.

"What are you doing here?" I manage to find the words, after everything that's just happened and everything that's happening right now.

"George? Who is this?" The woman asks as she puts her hand on his arm. In a romantic way– of course. This woman is a lover of some kind.

I search for a ring, and sag in relief when I don't seem to find one. I know I shouldn't be so happy to see that he isn't engaged – but sue me, I am.

"Isabel... what– You–" George stammers, which is usually my job.

"Hi, Isabel? I'm Elsie." The woman– Elsie– speaks for him. Her hand, sans ring, reaches out for mine.

I accept the gesture and shake it, because it's polite and I don't really know what else to do with myself.

I can feel both George and Jeremiah looking at me, waiting for me to do something. Like what? I don't know if I'm even breathing yet.

"You're the ex-fiancee, right?" Elsie is so friendly that, as much as I want to, I can't hate her.

I just nod, with a smile that I pray doesn't look as uncomfortable as it feels.

"I'm his girlfriend," that sounded hard for her to say. At least I'm not the only one who is uncomfortable.

'Uncomfortable' doesn't even begin to describe the silence that follows after she says that. We all just stand and stare at each other. George's eyes flick between me and Jeremiah and I would pay any price to hear his thoughts.

"So, how do you know Shayla and Steven?" Jeremiah asks, and I thank him silently for finding something– anything– to talk about.

It's actually a good question, too, because there's no way Steven would invite George after what happened a year ago. It could be 5, 10 or 15 years ago and he still wouldn't betray me like that.

"Shayla is an old friend of mine. I ran into her the other week and she invited me." Elsie answers again. I'm starting to wonder if George can even talk anymore. He can stare, though, that much is obvious.

"That's– nice." I manage to say with a smile. "Speaking of, we should probably find my brother and Shayla now."

I don't even overthink Jeremiah's hand on my waist– or how long it has been there– as he guides me back into the house. I'm too busy overthinking other things.

He's moved on.

Is it too soon or should I be happy for him?

He's moved on.

"Steven! Did you know? Did you fucking know?" A voice shouts and it takes me a few seconds to realise that it's coming from Jeremiah.

He sounds so unlike himself when he yells.

People are looking in our direction now. Too many eyes are on me. I'm tired of being stared at.

"What are you–" Steven starts but Jeremiah cuts him off by grabbing him and dragging him into the nearest room.

I follow them, with Shayla, and find that it's their kitchen.

"George is here." I explain for my brother, who currently has his shirt stuck in the clenched first of Jeremiah. An angry Jeremiah.