Chapter Eleven

"Who was that guy?" Jeremiah asks me quietly— once my breathing has slowed back to normal and I can finally see his blue-green eyes. He wipes away the last of my tears and doesn't rush me when I don't immediately answer.

"George's brother, Aaron." Steven somehow hears the question and answers for me. He's breathing heavily with his fists clenched at his side. I'm surprised Steven restrained from punching Aaron. It wouldn't be the first time they had an argument that led to something more.

"Aaron was never the biggest fan of me," my voice is strained and I almost cringe when I hear it– it sounds nothing like my voice should. "I doubt he likes me much better now."

"Who gives a fuck what he thinks," Steven tries to console me, but he's still angry and his words don't make me feel better.

"It doesn't matter what other people think, Bells. You take your time and when you're ready we'll explain everything to everyone. I'll be right at your side to help you." Jeremiah seems to find the right words. He's calm despite the fact I know he's thinking of the many ways he could track Aaron down and murder him.

"Thank you," I mumble and try to muster up an honest smile.

"Belly!" My mom's voice reaches us before she does.

I don't know what to expect from her. Did she witness the whole thing? Will she be mad about this and the wedding and just everything in general? What a waste of time these past few years have been. What a waste of money. That's what she'll think– that's what everyone will think.

"Oh my– Are you ok, baby?" My mom throws herself to the floor in front of me, checking every inch of me– for what, I'm not sure.

"Mom..." I think I hear myself mumble.

"Let's get you some food, and water, maybe," she babies me. I didn't know what to expect, but my heart swells with happiness. Maybe she'll shout at me later? I don't really have much energy left to worry about that anymore. She's right, I need food. I need Jeremiah's pancakes.

If Aaron came here, does that mean George is distraught? Aaron is the overly-protective brother, but only when he needs to be. Otherwise he's just an arsehole who pretends he doesn't care. If he was willing to pound Jeremiah to the ground in order to get to me, how upset is George? Would Aaron physically hurt me for what I did to his brother?

If he's this desperate to avenge his brother, would he really just leave me alone because Steven told him to? No. He'll have many chances to get to me, to hurt me. Many chances when I might not have to protection of my brother, or anyone else.

Fuck my life.

"You're not mad?" I ask my mom after I've inhaled enough pancakes to feed the four of us. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the answer, but I'll take anything that will stop me from thinking about how Aaron will take my life to avenge George.

"Of course not! I'm proud of you. You knew he wasn't right and you took action before it was too late." She tucks a few stray strands of hair  behind my ear.

"What if it's already too late?" I try to hold back the tears as I think about what my life would be like if I was forced into a marriage– a life– with George.

"It's never too late. Never." Her words reassure me, but the look on her face, the seriousness in her eyes, tell me she speaks nothing but truths. I don't question it anymore. I don't question her.

"Susannah and Conrad are on their way," Steven announces. I don't dread their arrival like I did Steven's and my mom's, but it does spike a bit of anxiety to think about having all of these people surrounding me.