Chapter 22 - My Son

Start from the beginning

Just as he approached the bed, he stopped in his tracks when she told him once again that she didn't want to see him. As soon as she said that to him, he expected her next words to send him out of the room when she would yell at him but instead, she sighed deeply as her gaze and tone softened when she expressed her disappointment.

When he could tell that the situation wasn't as tense as before, he sat with her on one side of the bed and Natalie stood on the other side, silently observing Ms Hudson's sudden change of attitude towards Ethan.

Slowly, he reached for his mother's hand as he feared she would pull it away but once he held onto it, he placed it on his forehead and lowered his head as he apologized several times.

She could tell how disappointed he was in himself about what happened and his regrettable tone softened her heart, especially when he expressed how much love he had for her as her son.

Since he couldn't see how her gaze had softened, she pulled her hand away with a poker face and crossed her arms. "You keep saying you'll make things right. It'll take so much for me to forgive you."

"What will it take?" he asked, desperate to do as she would ask.

"Stay away from Olivia."

"What?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"It seems you don't like what I just said." She looked away with a scoff.

"How could I stay away when she's carrying my baby?"

"That's for you to figure out. I told you what you have to do. Otherwise, thinking about the two of you makes my blood boil and when that happens, I-"

"Please calm down," he said, looking at the heart rate monitor, then said nothing more as he was torn between being there for Olivia and being there for his mother.

It was only when Natalie chimed in that there was no longer silence. "I didn't say anything before because it wasn't the right time but I have some good news, which is really good news when you look at the current situation." She clapped a few times then intertwined her fingers as she made her huge announcement. "My wedding dress arrived today!"

"That's definitely good news," said Ms Hudson, slightly smiling for the first time since the incident at the apartment.

Ethan lowered his head and shut his eyes as he sighed deeply.

Ms Hudson noticed but paid no attention to it. Instead, she looked at Natalie and asked if her wedding dress had already been delivered to her house but Natalie shook her head with excitement as she said it wasn't yet the case. It was then that Ms Hudson suggested that they pick it up themselves as they would soon be married.

Wanting to desperately make it up to his mother, he agreed to it and said he would go with Natalie. He also assured her that concerning Olivia, he would figure out a way to stay away from her.

Ms Hudson could see the hesitation as he spoke about Olivia but it didn't matter to her as long as he did exactly as she wished. She was aware he would do anything to make up for the humiliation she had to go through.

Although the reason she had a heart attack still upset her, she was glad she still had Ethan by her side and despite the unconfirmed threat, she planned to make sure Ethan would always be by her side as the son she raised.

Once that was settled, Ms Hudson said she wanted something to eat and Ethan became alert as he stood up but still held onto her hand to ask exactly what she wanted to eat.

She chuckled lightly at how he was now ready to do exactly as she wished. Once she told him what she wanted to eat, he approached the door but looked back at her with concern as he asked if she would be alright without him.