19. 𝘋𝘢𝘮𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶

Song: Lost in the moment by NF

**

~ Alessandro Diego Bernardi ~

"Why can't you be like Mattia? He's only two and already a better son than you ever were. Thirteen damn years age difference and he is still more capable of following in his fathers footsteps!" The woman I've never been able to call my mother screamed before pushing me back into the wall.

I don't fight back.

I never do and I probably never will. Maybe there's a small part of me that wishes that she could love me the way a mother should love her son, rather than the way she claims to love me.

"What the hell is going on here?!" My dad shouts across the mansion as I feel the sting of my supposed mother's palm on my cheek.

I wasn't always the person I am, actually I was quite the opposite of the man who rules over an entire mafia and owns many businesses — both legal and illegal. 

The mafia wasn't even meant to be mine. 

I was never tough enough to handle the dark work I was born into.

It's crazy how much things change in only a few years.

Typically the mafia gets passed down to the eldest kid when they reach the age of twenty-five but my dad never believed in forcing us into a life we don't want.

The one that showed any interest in taking over was actually Mattia, but unfortunately our father was killed before he reached twenty-five.

The mafia could have been passed down temporarily to our dads brother but he would have run everything to the ground, don't get me wrong... He's good....ish.... He just can't take anything seriously.

My dad used to tell us all the stories about how much he would dream about drowning his own brother in their childhood pool.

A bit much but okay.

Plus, who wold have thought revenge could be so fucking motivating — between finding Ash and avenging my dads death, it was enough to completely change me.

"Boss, Quinn is on the phone." My assistant Raymond had informed me.

Without speaking I grab the phone and place it to my ear, waiting for Raymond to exit the room before talking.

"Kid, aren't you supposed to be in school?" I question, my tone is still stern and cold with a slight soft edge to it.

"I'm going to ignore that first part... Asher is in the hospital."

"What? What the hell happened?!"

"I don't know... Salvatore and I were arguing and Ash just fainted.."