17. 𝘖𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘣𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨

Song: Devil Town by Cavetown

**

~ Asher Alexander Bernardi ~

Sometimes even love and patience can't save someone from their own self-destruction.

You may see the physical scars but you can't really see the ongoing battle between my heart and my brain.

After all, monsters don't sleep under your bed but rather... They sleep inside your head.

Like I can see that Alessandro for some reason is kind to me and I can sense a form of comfort I have never felt before — even from Kyan —, one that feels almost father-like and if there's one thing I have craved more than basic acceptance, It's a fathers love.

Sure he's not my dad but it seems he may be the closest I will ever get so is it wrong that I wish to soak it up just a little while longer?

The thought of the nice facade fading hurts like hell.

"Asher!" Amelia's voice breaks me from my thoughts.

"What?"

"We have been trying to get your attention for the last ten minutes but you seemed lost in your own world." Harley stated — despite her slightly hostile personality, I — surprisingly — sort of like her, she reminds me of a slightly more violent version of Quinn.

Actually, both Harley and Diamond are weirdly welcoming despite being polar opposites.

Harley is loud and a bit more aggressive, but they also seem protective of those she cares about.

Diamond is more bubbly and uplifting. Yet they almost get along perfectly — except for when she takes Harley's food.

Rylan likes to joke and seems to be unable to take anything seriously but he is also the first to clear up any possible tension which I'm grateful for.

This is all the information I managed to gather in the day I had known them, I guess it goes with my past, I seem to be insanely observant.

Now Ace I'm not sure about.

He has hardly looked at me let alone started a conversation.

He makes me feel uneasy when he does look up at me, I'm just not entirely sure why.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid.

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

"Nonsense," Amelia waves me off, "I was just trying to ask for your phone number so we can talk outside of school, we often make plans to hangout over weekends and school breaks and well.. You're part of the group now and I would hate to leave you out."

"Uh... Sure." I say, confusion laced my soft tone. They actually want me around? Instead of questioning it further I decided to just take her phone and put my number into it.