New Beginnings

Amidst the merriment, two mighty tankards, bursting with the sweet brew, were shoved in front of Jarvis and Fenton. While Fenton's slight fingers shot out like snakes, wrapping about the smooth wooden grain, Jarvis pushed his stein away as a groan emerged from his throat.

As laughter boomed throughout the hall, Ferrek down the last of his ale. With a belch, the dwarf slammed the empty mug on the table as his mouth curled into a devilish grin. "Bring me another!"

With trembling fingers, Jarvis slid his drink toward his guide. "Here's a fresh one for you."

The dwarven king leaned forward, placing a thick finger against Jarvis's tankard as his lips drew to a thin line. With a gentle push, the stein reversed its course, stopping just in front of the human leader. The meaty digit bounced against the stein's rim as Gilras' eyes darkened. "It's impolite to refuse a drink offered freely."

"I wasn't trying to offend."

With a hearty snap, Gilras cleared his throat. "The only excuse not to partake is that something is wrong with what's been given."

Fenton's lips spread wide as he lifted his fresh mug. "I've never tasted a better brew."

"Agreed," Jarvis said, pulling the tankard away from the king's fingers. "Unfortunately, I don't share your constitution. I'm afraid if I enjoy any more of this marvelous ale, I wouldn't be able to continue our conversation."

Ferrek chuckled as an attendant replaced his stein. He drank half the fresh mug and sighed as he laid the stein down and wiped his face with his sleeve. "Gilras, remember all our stories."

"What about them?" Gilras asked as he leaned back in his chair.

"Keep in mind our new friends are just like Tarian's folk from your father's time. All our tales from that era highlight their inability to match our tolerance or love for grog."

The king stroked his beard as his gaze drifted toward Jarvis. His stubby fingers swam through the thick hair, warming his neck as a silence settled in the room. "You're not wrong, but I expected more from this new batch of humans, considering how you described their battles with the horde."

"After all this time, and despite their mighty weapons, they're still frail in comparison to us." Ferrek lifted his tankard and tapped Jarvis' shoulder. "But even if you are on the verge of collapsing, it's polite to taste every drink given to you."

Jarvis closed his eyes as he lifted the tankard off the table and took a small sip. As he placed it down, he licked his lips as a sigh rushed out. "Now, what can you tell us about the previous colonization that our kind launched?"

"Not much," the dwarven king said, clasping his hands. "It was a little before my time."

"Your kin was nothing more than legend," Ferrek said, waving his brew about.

Gilras sighed and took a pull from his tankard. "My father, Fitik, ruled during Tarian's lifespan, Jarvis."

"Is he still alive?"

"Fortunately, for you," the Gilras said as he swirled the ale about his stein, "my father passed away a few years ago."

Jarvis scratched his temple as his eyes narrowed. "Why does the loss of all that knowledge make us fortunate?"

Gilras downed more of his grog and leaned against an arm. "Jarvis, if he still reigned, you wouldn't have been allowed to enter our home."

"Why?"

A series of chuckles bubbled up as he finished his drink. "My father considered all your kind to be nothing more than fools without honor."

"What happened between our people?" Fenton asked as he scooted to the edge of the chair.

Gilras sighed and groaned. "More grog!"

"Was Tarian's expedition that terrible to yours?"

"Ferrek, did either of your parents interact with the humans?"

"I've been told stories," Ferrek mused as he swirled the contents of his stein. The dwarf slammed the tankard and rose from the table and sauntered to the barrels. He twisted the knob, refilling his mug. Ferrek took a long drink and refilled the stein. "But we've all heard the tales detailing why we shouldn't trust humans."

The king's tongue brushed his mustache from his lips. "You were the one who expressed their combat prowess. It's the reason they were invited here."

Ferrek placed his stein down and grabbed his Gilras' mug. When he reached the barrels, he reopened the cask, refilling his lord's tankard and cleared his throat. "They are relentless and competent in battle."

Gilras slammed his fists on the table. "That's not exactly the same thing you said before."

Ferrek steamed the grog's flow and jerked his thumb at Fenton. "I was attempting to prevent you from accidentally stroking their egos."

Fenton shrank and downed the rest of his tankard.

"Despite that," Ferrek said, eyeing the leader of the human's defenses. He placed the mug in front of his king and sat back down. He adjusted his shirt and took a gulp of his brew. "These warriors have successfully defended themselves from the seemingly endless waves the horde sends their way."

Gilras nodded, sipping his drink. "Fitik didn't appreciate your ancestors' accusation that he was betraying them with those monsters."

Jarvis clutched his tankard as he glared into the amber liquid. "I've found Tarian's logs from their expedition, and he mentioned that incident."

"Were you trying to trick me?" Gilras asked as his gaze bore into Jarvis.

"Tarian lived so long ago, and I don't have a familial bond with him." Jarvis' fingers whitened as his eyes closed. "All I have are the journals of a dead man, which need confirmation."

"Wise words," Gilras said, rising as he lifted his tankard. "I have a feeling the truth lies somewhere in between our sources. So, I'd like to propose a toast."

Once everyone climbed to their feet, Gilras looked from his friend to the humans. "To new friends. May this bond be a more lasting one than what Tarian and my father established."