Repairs

Jarvis sauntered into the laboratory and leaned against the doorframe. He stood there, studying the abandoned and exposed innards of the plasma cannon. Jarvis folded his arms across his chest and cleared his throat. "Cecile, how's your work progressing?"

A curse echoed off the walls, and as silence raced to refill the space, Cecile's head crested the workbench. "You weren't supposed to bother me for a couple days while I performed my diagnostics."

"That's why you got five."

"Has it truly been that long?"

Jarvis nodded as he retrieved an implement off the deck. "Based on where you are, I'll assume you're poking at my engine."

Cecile snatched the tool from Jarvis, returning to the opening. "I'm following your standing orders to get this bucket off the ground."

He reached down, pulled her out, and spun her around. Jarvis's thumb pointed at the workbench behind them and leaned in. "While that's an important goal, your top priority was repairing and replicating that cannon."

With a shrug, Cecile waved her tool at the weapon scattered over her table. "Has it really been five days?"

Jarvis spread his arms out and sighed. "You're in your element. I'm not surprised you lost track of time." He scurried to the workbench, tapping the device. "Now tell me why you've abandoned the cannon."

"I haven't deserted it." Cecile swiped her eyes as her shoulders sagged. With a few steps, she hopped onto a stool as she pulled an implement out of her belt. She stuck the tip into the chamber and moved some wires around. "Whenever I wear out a mystery, I need to sink my teeth into something new."

Jarvis circled the table, plucking the tool from her, and patted the chassis. "Have you repaired the overload?"

"Not yet."

"We've successfully used the other experimental weapon in three raids."

Cecile reclaimed the device and tapped it against the hollowed-out cannon. "There's a difference between theoretical and operational. And given your proximity to the thing, I thought you'd appreciate that distinction."

Jarvis wrung his hands and took a deep breath. "When will we receive more cannons?"

"I'm not sure. While I've isolated the cause of their self-detonation, I haven't corrected it. But if you're eager to tempt suicide, I'll produce flawed weapons for you."

Jarvis's palm slammed against his forehead while gritting his teeth. "If you've identified that issue, why haven't you fixed it?"

"Whoever designed the original was careless."

"Why's that?" Jarvis asked, sitting down at the workbench. "The folks back home are pretty smart."

Cecile shook her head and dove into the open access panel. "Even the smartest people make mistakes, especially with a prototype?"

Jarvis sauntered to the hatch and placed his palms on either side. "What's wrong with the cannon?"

"The genius who designed it wired the power source into the focusing diode incorrectly."

Jarvis slammed the bulkhead while pointing at the collection of parts. "There's nothing wrong with that wiring."

Cecile muttered a curse while her hands flew across the engines. "You're not an engineer."

"I've given you a pass with your attitude," Jarvis thumped his fists against the smooth metal. "But you're rapidly about to jump over that line."

Cecile pushed herself clear of the hatch and plopped down in front of it. With a forced smile, she rubbed her face. "I am sorry, Jarvis, I'm just wound a little tight right now."

"Apology accepted." Jarvis rested a hand on her shoulder. "Fix the weapon."

"I'll get it done."

"Good," Jarvis pointed at the exposed engine. "Have you made progress with repairing my engine?"

"That's a matter of opinion." Cecile pulled a handkerchief from a back pocket and wiped her brow, while she withdrew a tablet from inside the hatch and offered it to Jarvis. "It's a mixed bag."

Jarvis grabbed the pad and groaned, "What's wrong?"

She looked at her hands and shook her head. "We have to start with the pleasant piece first."

"Cecile, you're being flippant."

With a sigh, Cecile tapped the device. "The order matters." She clapped the wall and smiled. "There's nothing wrong with the machinery."

Jarvis bounced the pad against his leg. "That's a plus."

"Frankly, we don't have to reproduce anything." Cecile pulled herself off the floor and seized the tablet. She flicked through the files, selecting a document. She handed it back to Jarvis and claimed a stool. "We have ample power, but something is blocking it from reaching the engine."

"That's not possible?" He gestured at the active monitors. "Power's getting there."

With a nod, Cecile grabbed a nearby radio and slapped it into Jarvis's hand. "This device's battery is nothing compared to the ship's reactor, and it works without issue. Compare that with the ship power plant can run everything on this vessel, including the defensive batteries. The cabling is key to understanding the problem."

"The conduits crippled the engine?"

"They're damaged."

"Can't you replace them?"

"I did, but the fresh ones have worked no better." Cecile pointed at the opening as her smile faded. "Once I got the originals under a scope, I discovered that were undamaged."

"Then what's wrong?"

With a shrug, Cecilia closed her eyes. "If I knew, you'd have your answer."

With a deep breath, Jarvis dropped into the chair. "We have to survive long enough to escape this planet."

"At the moment, keeping the reactor running is consuming my attention." She laid her hand on the weapon as her grin widened. "However, I'll be able to jury-rig a couple more of these. They won't be as sleek, but they should be nearly as effective."

"We'll need more than a few to protect ourselves."

Cecile shrugged and offered a wry smile. "I'm hoping that'll be a moot point." She tapped the hatch with her toes. "But the weapons should help keep us alive while I am searching."

"Hopefully, you're correct." Jarvis crossed the room and pointed a finger at the engineer. "Produce as many cannons as possible before you resume fixing the engine."