Dilcie wouldn't mind, Hadley thought. She wasn't a frill and lace kind of woman anyway.

***

Hadley and Lou Edna made good time. Hadley was on the lookout for animals that might be in the middle of the mountain roads so early in the morning. She was mainly worried about deer. She didn't see any. That did not mean they were not nearby. Only that she didn't see them.

"When we get there, Lou," Hadley said, "be sure to knock on the door three times. Exactly three times. Then, go in and tell Granny what you want."

"Oh," Lou Edna said, "I'm not goin' in. I have no intention of goin' in."

"Now, let me get this straight," Hadley said, "we're gonna drive all the way out to Granny's and do what? Sit in the car and wait till the cows come home?"

"No, silly," Lou Edna said. "You're gonna go in 'n' ask Granny to make you sumpin' special for me."

"I'm going in looking like this," Hadley said.

"Sure, Hadley," Lou Edna said. "One look at you 'n' Granny Dilcie's bound to give you anything you ask. I mean you are a sorry sight. Plumb pitiful."

"Thanks a ton, Lou," Hadley said.

"Okay," Hadley said. "We're here."

***

The old cabin was surrounded by the misty blue fog that often veils these mountains.

"This air feels like a buncha hawgs runnin' 'round with sticks in their mouths," Lou Edna said. "Don't dawdle, Hadley. You're liable to catch your death of cold dressed like you are."

Hadley gave her friend 'a look' but kept quiet. She got out of the car. This winter was indeed a cold one. She pulled the collar of Harry's robe tighter around her neck. She heard it rip. Another hole in her wear-and-tear robe. It was rotten, and she knew she'd have to discard it soon, but not today, she told herself. Not today.

She walked quickly up to the porch. Lou Edna didn't have to worry about any dawdling from Hadley. You dawdled much this morning, you'd freeze your fanny off. She knocked three times.

The old granny witch answered the door. If Dilcie was surprised at Hadley's attire, she never let on.

"Come in. Come in, chile," Dilcie said. "We been expectin' you."

Hadley said nothing. She and Dilcie had been friends for many years. Hadley had driven her own mother up here many times before she died to get some of Granny's remedies. Her mother always loved to come see Dilcie. They'd sit on the old lady's porch and talk about old times for hours.

Dilcie might even be kin to Hadley. The ties between families in this backwoods were tangled and tight.

"I had a feelin' I'd be layin' eyes on you soon," Dilcie said. "I knowed this ain't for you, but I made it extra spe'shul 'cause it's for one you hold dear."

"Thank you, Granny. I didn't have time to bring you anything from the larder, but I promise I'll come soon and see you."

"You don't owe me nuthin', chile."

"I know, but I want to give you some canned goods from my pantry. If I don't clear some space, they'll be no room to add more jars next season. All I ask is that you save me the jars."

"We will do that, Hadley."

"Give me a hug, Granny. And thanks for not screaming when you opened the door. I know I look a sight."

"A sight for sore eyes, chile. It ain't the robes he wears that makes the man, but what's in his heart that proves his worth."

"I'll see you soon, I promise. And who knows, I might even bring Beanie up with me when I come."

"How is he?"

"Fine as frog's hair since you fixed him up, Granny."

"Glad to hear it."

Hadley walked back to the car and got in.

"Did you get it?" Lou Edna asked. "I been jumpier 'an a grasshopper on a hot coal."

"Here," said Hadley. "Made with Granny's blessing."

"That was quick," Lou Edna said.

"Granny was expecting us," Hadley said.

"And you don't hold no stock in these," Lou Edna said, smiling when she emptied the bag and saw her very own hag stone staring back at her from her lap. "Boy howdy, I'm gonna put you on right now and never take you off."

Hadley started the car.

"You know," Lou Edna said, "I ain't never had no college education, but I swear right now, I'd rather have this little rock hangin' from my neck than a dozen sorority keys."

"What will your gentleman friend have to say when he sees that stone around your neck?" Hadley asked.

"He won't say nuthin' when I tell him it's thought to be THE MOST POTENT virility mojo on the mountain," said Lou Edna.

"But those things have nothing to do with virility," Hadley said.

"Ain't you the one always harpin' on how powerful the power of suggestion is?"

"Yes," said Hadley. "I guess I am."

"Well," said Lou Edna, "let's just say I'm only suggestin'. But I bet that little bee I put in his bonnet makes a powerful difference in our love life."

"You're wicked," said Hadley.

"Don't I know it, girl," Lou Edna said, rubbing the charm that hung around her neck. "Don't I know it!"