chapter twenty three.

EVERYONE SET UP CAMP JUST FOR THE NIGHT, and in the morning Daryl and Isla set off to go and find Lydia, again. Isla had her bloodstained weapon in her hand in case of stray walkers from the attack, whilst Daryl had his crossbow as they trekked through the woods. Eventually they found a hut in the middle of the woods and Isla assumed it was empty since it was deathly quiet, but Daryl still told her to be cautious as he went inside first.

Inside the hut was an empty chair, beside it were ropes around the bottom of the chair legs, but also behind it. Was Lydia kept here? Why? 

Isla groaned under her breath before breathing in sharply, "Where the hell is-" She began until she noticed Daryl glaring at someone out the window before quickly moving out of the way. "What is it?"

"Get behind me." He told her in a low and wary voice, and she did with her knife up. The door then suddenly opened, Negan stepped in, expecting to see someone. Before he could get a proper word in, Daryl whacked him with his crossbow and shoved him against the wall. Isla held her knife up as Daryl had his crossbow pointed at his head. "Where's Alpha?!"

Isla squinted her eyes at Negan, who was shocked, but also stayed calm. She couldn't believe how he was so calm after helping destroy Hilltop. "Look, whatever Lydia told you-"

Isla interrupted him, "We asked you a question, asshole." 

Negan squeezed his eyes shut for a second before telling them, "She is dead. She is dead. I killed her." Isla scoffed, briefly looking at Daryl for his reaction before looking back at the man, "That's a bunch of bullshit."

Daryl wasn't convinced either, holding his crossbow closer to Negan's head. "You liar."

"I'm not lying." Negan stated, "I have somethin' in my pocket. It is not a weapon. I am slowly gonna reach for it." He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a skin mask. Alpha's mask.

"Her mask ain't her head."

"Oh no. I'm gettin' to that." Negan breathed out. Isla rolled her eyes at how slow he was being, "Then hurry the fuck up."

"The whole reason I threw in with them was so I could get close enough to Alpha to slit her throat. Now, you talk about 'silencing the Whisperers.' I silenced the Alpha." Negan firmly told them both before pausing, and Isla tried her best to intake everything, but she just didn't know if she could trust him. "Why the hell else do you think your girlfriend would let me outta that cell?"

Daryl was quiet for a moment before they both realised who he meant. Carol. Isla sort of guessed that she got Negan to kill Alpha in revenge for Henry. Hopefully she got the closure she wanted now that Hilltop is destroyed.

"Where's Alpha now then?" Isla then asked Negan, turning her head away from Daryl and lowering her weapon. 

"I can take you to her. No bullshittin', kid." Negan replied, making Isla roll her eyes.

"Let's hurry the hell up then, before it's me slitting your throat."

━━━━━━━

Isla held the mask in her hand as she walked behind Negan who was jabbering on the whole journey. Daryl had tied his hands up with ropes, but Isla was annoyed that there was nothing for her to shut Negan up with. They eventually got to the place where Negan apparently placed Alpha's head, but there was one problem. 

The spike where Alpha's head was was empty. Negan's breath halted for a second as he tried to think of something to say, "It was right here. I swear to God, it was on that spike." Isla shook her head in disbelief and got her blade out again, "Look, we, uh...We... We sit here, we can wait for Carol. Or I can take you to find the-"