chapter fourteen

ISLA DIDN'T NOTICE HOW FAST Summer had come, and how hard winter had died as she stood looking at the waves frothing onto the sand. She stood looking out over the ocean, something she hadn't done in a long time. The girl was surprised to be invited over to Oceanside for a training day, which was to strengthen bonds and discuss fighting plans. She didn't want to go at first, refusing to face many people who she thought would dislike her. However with some encouragement from Lydia, both girls went.

The feeling of the sand felt odd, she didn't know if she liked it or loved the unfamiliar feeling. Isla was rather tired to care, the winter training she had forced herself to do wore her out quickly. But she hoped it would pay off later when they got together. She wanted to feel strong, physically and mentally. Her old talents of being a Whisperer nearly mixed with her slowly changing mindset, but it was just another hurdle she had to overcome.

But the summer in Oceanside put her slightly at ease, making her ignore her past muscle memory and only focusing on what really mattered. Which was defeating the Whisperers.

All of them.

It was definitely clear that some of her training had paid off when it came to the multiple rounds of walkers, it was not something to be simply ignored. Lydia had also improved too, something Isla picked up on with a smile. However the appearance of a Whisperer mask washing on the shore was a mood-killer. It caused extra patrols and eyes opened everywhere in all directions with their radios close by.

Isla and Lydia both kept out the way, obviously the mention of a Whisperer or skin meant some eyes still occasionally flickered to them, despite the fact they have been 'granted asylum' at Alexandria for many months now. Some accepted it but others simply didn't want to.

They just focused on the cool breeze that came from the ocean, and the sand underneath their boots which got on Lydia's nerves, as she kicked it from time to time. The warmth of the sun engulfed Isla's covered back and Lydia's covered arms. Her hair was over her shoulder, a small braid in it by Judith who was a bit further away with her brother, whom Isla said she would keep an eye on. Anything to keep out of the way.

She was still wrapped up in her feelings, about everything. Yet Lydia nearly felt in her elements at Oceanside, the different scenario made her question. Their silence wasn't awkward or stumbling, in a way it was peaceful but it was also a chance for Isla's voices to taunt her. But she refused to snap and let the conflict from months ago torture her, even though it had been doing it again for the past few weeks, she attempted to get out of the cycle.

Lydia had nearly let that night slip however she managed to change the subject quite quickly, silently swearing down to herself to remember. She too was affected by the events, thinking about Henry ever since. Even Carol spoke to the two girls before she went off to sea, knowing about Isla's slow friendship with him and Lydia's feelings. As much as Isla tried to keep up with their radio talks, things died down.

After Lydia had silently trailed away, Isla lifted her head to look at the docks, noticing the figure on the dock.

By the time Carol had let go of Daryl after their hug, the woman had noticed Isla and greeted her with a smile, then a hug that Isla didn't know she wanted. Despite her unbalancement, Isla leaned into it. A few days of not communicating through radio felt like a lifetime after being ravelled up in her thoughts.

"Ah," Carol happily exclaimed as they both pulled back, her hands on the sides of Isla's arms. "Here I thought you didn't miss me after you stopped talking on the radio."

"Thought you preferred to spend extra time with the fish?"

"Are you kidding me? It stinks!" Carol laughed.