chapter ten.

THEY ARRIVED TO THE KINGDOM and it was not what Isla expected. She thought Alexandria was big however this seemed way better. As the gates opened she saw a vast majority of people, probably from different communities, spread out far and wide. There were decorations planted all over the place and various stalls with people laughing and having a good time at.

Everyone hopped out the cart and ran over to their friends and loved ones, each jumping into each other's arms for a hug. Lydia and Isla hovered for a bit, staying behind as they felt as if they were intruding. They shouldn't be here but there they were, standing like the odd ones out.

In the distance Isla saw another familiar woman, from Hilltop. Tara. She recognised her face which was hiding fury and annoyance.

"The plan was to bring Henry." She looked at Lydia and Isla who stood back. Lydia avoided eye contact however Isla stared right back at her. If Lydia wanted to stay then Isla was definitely gonna stand up for her even if she didn't want her to. "Just Henry."

Michonne muttered to Ezekiel, "Gather up all the leaders. We have a lot to talk about."

Henry hobbled over to the two girls, "Come on, we're having a meeting in the theatre."

"You have a theatre?" Isla repeated with wide eyes.

Henry nodded with a rising grin, "Yeah c'mon, I'll show you. Have you ever been to one?"

"Not since I was a little kid." Isla scoffed as they entered the large hall. The leaders had gathered around the stage. Isla, Lydia, Henry and Judith sat on the seats and looked up at them as they spoke.

Michonne decided to speak up first and faced everyone. "I know I haven't always seen eye-to-eye with everyone in this room. But I never stopped caring about any of you. I was just trying to protect my family and do right by my people. Alexandria's future is here. Together, with you. And we lost sight of that for a while. But...I'm here now. We're here now."

Next to Michonne was Gabriel who spoke next, "I've taken an informal vote with the other council members at the fair, and we all agree. Alexandria is willing to grant asylum to Lydia and Isla. They're one of us now. We hope the rest of you can join us in doing the same." Henry squeezed Lydia's hand and smiled at Isla, who started to let a smile grow on her face too.

Lydia grinned and looked up at Gabriel and Michonne. "Thank you. I'll do whatever I can to earn my keep and pay you back."

Isla nodded in agreement, "Me too. Thank you." She didn't expect this, it felt like a dream again.

Tara didn't look too convinced, folding her arms and moving on her spot. "If her mother and her father retaliate, it's gonna be against Hilltop, not Alexandria." She pointed out and looked at the girls for a moment. "I have to do right by my people. I thought we were on the same page."

"We were." Michonne began. "And, look, when they came to my gates, I asked them to run away. And when they didn't, I was angry."

"Then you know why I'm not okay with this."

"I do." Michonne continued. "I also know why Rick didn't trust me when I showed up at the gates of the prison. And how people didn't trust you after seeing you on the other side of the Governor's firing line."

One of the girls from Oceanside, Rachel, added, "I was gonna kill you on sight when you washed up on our shore." Isla would've chuckled at the joke if it wasn't for the thick tension.

"Okay, okay. Fair." Tara nodded.

"Lydia and Isla didn't choose where they came from, but they chose where they wanted to be. Just like everybody in this room." Michonne backed them up.