01

Chapter One: Like Calls To Like

Alina knew life with Nikolai would be nice and peaceful and she had even started to feel like home at the Grand Palace

Alina knew life with Nikolai would be nice and peaceful and she had even started to feel like home at the Grand Palace. The people of the court and even Nikolai's mother Tatiana no longer scowled at her, nobody tried to insult her or demean her in any way, and Alina was grateful for small mercies. Nikolai might have been the only one at court who truly loved her, but she was queen now and everybody, whether they were merely a servant or a Grisha of the highest order, had to respect her; and that was enough.

Nikolai gave her the admiration and devotion she needed, and the space to call home, to be truthfully herself that she longed for. It had been a week since they got back from their post-wedding getaway and Alina was beginning to feel that inner calm she's been craving all her life. She read books, walked around the gardens, wrote letters to her friends from the orphanage, and enjoyed her Alpha's presence when he was free from king's duties. She finally could summon the sun not because she had to but because she wanted to appreciate the way it shines and beams. Life was nice. Life was what it was supposed to be.

But then he showed up. He appeared in her life unexpectedly, irrevocably, like a deadly poison, like a sickness eating away at her bones, like a nectar of demons she couldn't resist. He wore black, he was black, so black it threatened to consume her all.

Alina's first reaction to him was horror; all the uneasy feelings of the past came back to play. General Kirigan entered their castle together with his army as if it all belonged to him, as if he was the king and not only the leader of the Second Army.

She watched the Grishas out of their dining room window, an impressive number of them going into the castle seemingly without any resistance.

"What is happening?" Alina asked, her voice quiet with fear.

Nikolai's usually cheerful face grew serious as he came from behind her to look out the window. She turned to him. Their eyes met.

"I'll go and see. You stay here," he said curtly as he turned to go.

"Wait, I'm coming with you!" Alina intervened.

Nikolai raised his hand, warning, "No, stay here. I'll deal with it."

He was scared, she realized. He didn't know she was scared, too.

She followed him.

It was the first time she ever saw Kirigan, and the mere sight of him made the Omega in her lose her mind a little. She had heard many things of him – that he was just, that he was powerful, that if he wanted to, he could easily rule everyone and everything, so the fact he doesn't must mean something stops him. She had heard he was the best leader there ever was—but all she saw in front of her whilst hiding behind the beige columns was a dominating Alpha, his scent and stance exactly what one might expect from a man like him. And of course, he made Alina feel just as an Alpha like him makes all Omegas feel – hot, bothered, submissive, ready to be taken. She tried to contain a moan that threatened to escape her lips. She couldn't be acting like this, not in front of everyone.