09

Chapter Eight: The Problem With Wanting

As Alina slowly opened her eyes, the room before her started to flow and she didn't even notice the face before her at first, only felt a big warm hand caressing her cheek

As Alina slowly opened her eyes, the room before her started to flow and she didn't even notice the face before her at first, only felt a big warm hand caressing her cheek. She swallowed thickly; her throat felt as dry as sandpaper.

"Hey," he spoke quietly, softly, the way he hasn't spoken to her in this lifetime yet.

She finally could see his face more clearly now. His brows were furrowed, his eyes full of worry. She immediately relaxed once she realized Aleksander was there.

"Hi," she answered gruffly.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, eyes softening immediately as he made sure she didn't feel threatened by him.

Alina blinked slowly. "My head hurts," she confessed. "What happened?"

"You don't remember? You fainted. I knew I should've been more careful with you, I had no idea this would happen while you're away..."

"Oh, I remember now," she rushed to say, not really because she remembered exactly what happened – the details were still blurry – but more because she didn't want him to blame this on himself. Albeit he was partially guilty, Alina knew he had enough guilt on his shoulders as it was, though he'd never admit that. "It's not your fault... But... Where am I?"

He raised an eyebrow, "I thought you said you remember now."

"Not all of it," she said sitting up in bed, disappointed that he withdrew his hand from her face.

"We're in Genya's territory." Oh, right. Alina remembered. The children, the Omegas. How happy she felt. Until then... "She went straight to me when this happened." He looked behind to the door, then turned back to her, his serious expression turning to amusement for a mere second, "Truth be told, I feel like an imposter here. So once you feel a bit better, we're going home. A Healer will do a check-up."

Alina frowned, "But... can't I stay here?"

She saw a muscle twitch in his jaw. "I think it's best if you're close to me, in case something like this happens again. There are many Healers in the Little Palace who will take care of you properly."

He didn't say it, didn't even show it, but still, she could see how much she had frightened him.

Maybe it was her Omega's wish to submit to her Alpha, but she didn't want to object, not when he was clearly so worried, not when he was talking to her and admitting she mattered rather than denying his feelings for her, so she complied, "Okay. Well, I feel better now, I think, so we can leave."

Alina crossed her legs over the edge of the bed, and Aleksander stood up. "I'll go ask Genya to—"

"Could you help me out?" she asked, reaching a hand out toward him.