Chapter 61 ~ Breakfast at Sea (M)

Start from the beginning

As I gazed at her, I cupped my hand over her upper breast where her heart beat. The even cadence made my own heart hurt and soar in unison. The near brushes with death and capture haunted me, each flashback rending my heart anew.

And naught at present could quell the hard thump in my loins, the ache the breadth and depth of the great sea. Many times heatedly my thought did harken to every luscious kiss, each urgent dance of passion that we had shared together. And too my thought strayed to whither we might venture when Faeriel awoke.

Knowing my meleth to be safe in the ship's refuge, in the middle of the night I took a moment to venture above decks. The stars beckoned me, and too my tea of earlier needed relieving.

I relieved myself but abstained from assuaging aught else, though verily I itched to try. Then with one more glance upon the sleeping form of Faeriel, I headed to the deck. Yet there, as I canted my face to the stars, I found that I could little feel their light.

"What cloud upon your spirit veils the stars?" Talishaya's voice sounded from behind me.

I did not startle, for I was used to my old friend appearing suddenly

I drew in a deep breath through my nose and let it out with a sound like ocean waves. "Honor, truth and valor has Faeriel in plenty. Her fëa is wrought of the purest compassion, her vessel is strong and endowed with powerful magics, and endlessly wise is her heart." I watched as Tali smiled knowingly. My heart felt like a bubble swelling in my throat.

I went on. "Yet... she is naive." My gaze gripped the deck before me. "I fear for her. What if..." I trailed off, swallowing a sudden lump in my throat, my brows and jaw flexing tight.

"You fear the peril which befell her at the festival could be repeated," Tali said knowingly.

I nodded, my face tight, my fists clenching the ships rail until my knuckles turned white.

Talishaya paused, gazing upon the silver gilded sea, then up at the starry vault stretched wide above. "You know what I would tell you. We can spend our whole lives fearing the 'what ifs.' But that takes away from each moment here at hand. We can tread with caution and take heed but some forces are simply beyond our sway. We would regret it if we spent our years thinking overmuch instead of spending time with the one whom we love."

"I—I am sorry Talishaya. I know that you—" I began, but she waved me off.

"Nay, Legolas. It is no matter. So too you have lost."

We fell silent in understanding, the ease of good old friends. I inhaled and exhaled in the manner of ocean waves for several long minutes, until at last the starlight filtered into me.

"Trust, Legolas," Tali intoned at last. "Protect her... Guide her... But trust that she will find her way." She smiled, joy and confidence gleaming in her golden eyes.